cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D autofocus keeps switching from AI to M

Birder_Girl4
Contributor

I've been using the EOS 90D for three years with no issues.  I use AI focusing mode as it best meets my needs for bird and wildlife photography.  Recently the focus mode has begun jumping from AI to M with just the slightest move of the camera.  I set it to AI and as soon as I press the shutter it jumps back to M. This has been happening with every lens I've tried and with various exposure settings.  The battery is new and fully charged, and all camera and lens settings are at AF.  Any idea what is causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for your suggestions.  I contacted a local repair shop, if they can't repair the 90D they will ship it to Canon for me.  

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

All of your lenses work on a different camera you mentioned but not the EOS 90D.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Sorry, I just checked, and it is Error 01.

Is this on the 90D? What I would do is retest every lens and set the aperture to something small like F/8. Smaller than the maximum apertures of all lenses. Since these are all variable aperture lenses. Then press the depth of field preview button. This will make the aperture stop down. Canon focuses wide open until the exposure is made. The test can easily be done with the camera set to Av Mode.

-Demetrius

Yes, this was on the 90D.  I just tried your latest suggestion with each of the above-mentioned lenses, switched to AV mode and tried to set the aperture, but in each case I got a message "Cannot adjust Aperture because no lens is attached."  I'm beginning to think that my 90D is dead, or is there still some hope for a fix?

Does the camera report F/-- or F/00 in the viewfinder, top LCD screen and rear LCD screen. Or does it show an actual F/ Stop value such as F/5.6 for instance.

-Demetrius

F00

Are all of these lenses working with your EOS 7D classic. If they are the problem has to be with the camera body.

-Demetrius

Thank you for your suggestions.  I contacted a local repair shop, if they can't repair the 90D they will ship it to Canon for me.  

Announcements