cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D not focusing

michaelk2
Contributor

yesterday I was out shooting and halfway through I changed my focus points and when i went to start shooting again the camera wouldn't focus on anything. and sometimes wont even take a picture. 

I have look at a bunch of different videos trying stuff but nothing has worked. 

18 REPLIES 18

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did you try another lens?

Did you try to reset the camera?

i have done both of those.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What happens if you switch the lens to manual focus?

Does the shutter fire with lens off the camera?

What happens if you shift to Live View?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

the camera is able to shoot in manual focus and without the lens on but won't do anything with autofocus switched on. 

Is that both in OVF and Live View?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

the camera will not shoot in either view. but if I go into the custom function and switch the setting for the half pressed shutter button to metering start it will shoot. but if it set to autofocus and metering then it will not. 

Are you trying to shoot in low light or low contrast. Will the camera achieve focus with built-in flash providing an AF Assist Beam "disco flash" or if you use an external speedlite's AF Assist Beam. The AF Assist Beam from a speedlite can be "IR" or Intermittent Flash Firing/ "disco flash".

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

the flash didn't help with the focusing and it still wont shoot even with the flash going off. 

Does the item your taking a picture have contrast. The viewfinder AF system relies on contrast to find focus. For instance the camera won't focus on a clear blue sky because it lacks contrast. Also are you taking pictures inside. This can affect the AF system if its dark inside.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements