cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D Lens Pin Circuit board burned out?

Miteenice
Apprentice

I have a lightly used EOS 80D purchased from Canon and no longer in warranty. I sent it for repair. The Lens pins and the corresponding Circuit board was replaced as a result of an error 01. This is my first DSLR to ever give out, in the many cameras I have worked with professionally. It locked up using my Canon lens after about 20 shots. Just prior I was using a Sigma 200-600 zoom which is quite heavy. It worked fine and I handled it by the Lens, not the body. It was the only deviation from my usual equipment. The temps the previous night were in the mid 40s, no humidity, and it was stored in case, inside truck. After paying over $400 to repair, I am scared to use these lenses, without having some guidance. Can anyone relieve my fear as to what caused the Circuit board to burn out under normal use? What about changing lenses with the power on? Is there a delayed response when it first begins to short out and when it actually locks up? Can shooting into the sun trigger this, cause it was a hot, sunny day? I also don't recall any static electricity. 

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Shooting into the bright sun could damage a sensor.  I do t see a way for the pins, mount or PCB to be damaged by this.

With the pins being recessed, its difficult, but not impossible to damage them.  I've owned many body's also and have never had an issue with the mount or pins.  Not on a lens either.  Things can happen though and performing quick lens changes without proper alignment could cause issues over time.  The pins themselves are probably an entire assembly, so it's likely the entire board assembly has to be replaced to fix pins or communication issues.  Canon doesn't perform partial repairs.

When properly supported, a lens which is in good working condition shouldn't cause any issues.  I suggest you always support your camera by cradling its lens in your hand.  This takes the weight off the body and doesn't allow lens weight to put any weight on the mount.  

I often carry my body using the lens foot if I'm using a long heavy lens.  Use your camera, take reasonable precautions and enjoy it.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Changing lenses without first turning the camera off is a potential problem  The recommended best practice is to always turn off the camera when you attach or detach accessories. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Waddizzle,

Excellent point.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements