cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II not focusing with Tamron and Tokina lenses

afenton
Contributor

Canon 7D MK2

Two holidays last year were 'ruined' by the results of my photos.

Used centre-weighted setting but with a couple of lenses the camera was obviously struggling to focus; one was a Tamron 70-20 and the other a Tokina AT-X 28-70. I've had Tamron check for faults with an inspection and test - they found no fault. I took some photos where the focus point in the viewfinder was just a single square in the centre; I think that these photos are the ones that were pretty awful, with no focus to speak of.

Any advice?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can testify that the Tamron 70-200mm zoom doesn't just work OK but does a beautiful job on a 7 series camera. I used one, actually two of them, for years and the combo made me a lot of money. Focus issues and misfocus are almost always caused by the user and not the camera/lens combo. The first thing I would do is reset you 7D2 back to factory default6. The second thing I would is is make sure you are using One Shot and not Ai-servo which it sounds like you are. Ai-servo causes way more problems then it solves.

I, too, think you might be confusing metering with focusing at least in terms.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@afenton wrote:

Hiya, Waddizzle,

Thanks for the reply. I suppose it was a sort of mis-speak. The problem is, when trying to focus on something that is, overall, centre-weighted ("best suited for any image where your subject is in the centre of the frame, or even where the subject fills the majority of the scene"), the focusing goes somewhat haywire - squares all over the place, in trying to focus. The results, when this happens, are the ones that are awful - a two-inch screen doesn't show what a 24-inch monitor does!

One other thing worth mentioning is that, with the Tamron 70-200, it's always at the upper end of the length that the problems seem apparent; if I use my folder settings by focal length, the upper end is full of problems.I have had no problems whatsoever with my Canon 10-18 or 18-55.

Thanks again for the feedback. I am seriously considering changing my 7D, though I have many happy photographic memories from it.

Cheers

You are still misspeaking.  Metering modes have little to nothing to do with controlling and setting up the autofocus system.  Here are a couple of video tutorials on the 7D2.

Here is another video.  Sometimes it is beneficial to hear it explained differently.

Here is a video about Canon Metering Modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yep, there's something I'm not getting across. I've watched the first video already, and will watch the other two later. The first video talks about what I am trying to relate: The auto-focus alternatives. When the problems occur, I can have the setting for one shot, AI servo or AI focus; it doesn't matter which I try, with the different lenses that are resulting in bad shots, the cameras focus points are simply not able to settle into a point of focus - jumping all over the place - and eventually settling into a single focus point... and the camera allows me to take a photo that is out of focus.

I know that this is a problem between the camera and different lenses, and I'm not trying to re-focus the shot; hopefully, I'll start taking more notice of the camera telling me I'm not giving it the right instructions! I'm going to the Outer Hebrides next week and will really try to concentrate more, because Barra is a beautiful place and I've had some really lovely shots there in the past few visits.

Can't thank you enough, Waddizzle, for taking the time to help me. I'll watch the videos next.

Andrew

“ I know that this is a problem between the camera and different lenses, and I'm not trying to re-focus the shot; hopefully, “

I am still uncertain if you understand the difference between metering and focusing.  Please watch the videos well before it is time to depart on your journey.

afenton
Contributor

Hiya,

I'm sure you're right. The second video, auto-focus guide, shows the focus squares I'm mentioning... I think! And that's where, even on a still subject, they leap about, then settle into a single in the centre. And the awful focus occurs.

*sighs*    I've had such good results in the past, this is frustrating the hell out of me.

Thanks again.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I can testify that the Tamron 70-200mm zoom doesn't just work OK but does a beautiful job on a 7 series camera. I used one, actually two of them, for years and the combo made me a lot of money. Focus issues and misfocus are almost always caused by the user and not the camera/lens combo. The first thing I would do is reset you 7D2 back to factory default6. The second thing I would is is make sure you are using One Shot and not Ai-servo which it sounds like you are. Ai-servo causes way more problems then it solves.

I, too, think you might be confusing metering with focusing at least in terms.

EB

Agreed on my confusion. My daughter's the photographer in the family and she does ok with it.

One thing I did find out, while looking around, was that on AV setting, the camera automatically uses a slower shutter speed by default, rather than upping the ISO; I've had to set the camera to use a minimum shutter speed to get the camera to use ISO control more. Just an aside, but it had been giving me some focus issues itself, dropping the speed too much, by leaving ISO more limited, while trying to take shots with more dof.

I'm going to do a factory reset next. Does that sometimes clear problems? I know the fault almost certainly lies with me, but, as I've said, I've not had this problem in the past.

Thanks, ebiggs1

The camera performed exactly is it has in the past!

Did a factory reset and looked at what the default the factory settings are. Whatever I'd done, that fixed it. Had a few duff shots but that's obviously down to me - I do have a tendency towards complacency, when I should be taking more notice.

Anyway, thanks again for your patience and suggestions, as well as the links.

Cheers, ebiggs

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does that sometimes clear problems?"

Yes it can do wonders especially if you set something by accident and don't know what. Remember you must clear all custom settings too. Reset both for a full reset.

Lets examine Av mode. You set Av mode where you fix an aperture for the lens. Lets say f4, so now thw 7D2 will select the fastest SS it can for proper exposure. That is important to keep in mind since you have still let the camera do an automatic thing. As to ISO if it is a fixed setting it will not change. If you select Auto ISO it will change but still keeping proper exposure as the main most important thing. You can set an upper and lower limit ISO number if you wish but this will limit the ability of the 7D2's exposure range. Similarly you can set a faster and slower SS limit, too.

However, these settings should have no impact on how the Tamron's AF speed is affected. But if you are in a very low to just a low light situation that can slow the AF.

EB

Can't thank you enough, for spending your time helping me. I've done a factory reset but I'm too fed up with the **bleep** thing to take any photos just now! I'll go through some tomorrow.

I had changed the AV setting to use a minimum shutter speed to 125, making the camera change the ISO in auto mode, and it improved some of the problem, and it did overcome the AV mode of dropping the speed too much.

Anyway, that's gone now; I'll have to remember to make that change again, if it is causing a problem. I tend to use TV more than AV, or even automatic setting, anyway.

Thanks again, Legend!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Grant Atkinson has made some of the videos explains the Canon AF System on YouTube.  This is the first of five videos explaining the 7D Mark II AF system.  He has made additional videos about the 7D2 AF system, perhaps 7 or 8 in total.

Based on your descriptions, you seem to have the AF system in a Zone Tracking mode.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements