cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 70-200 f/2.8 ticking autofocus sound

Shebulba
Contributor

Hello!

I just bought a new RF 70-200 f/2.8 lens to use on my R6 mark 1 (after deciding to sell my EF 70-200). I'm blown away about the image quality and autofocus accuracy!

But, after watching reviews and reading a lot about the lens I though it should be virtually quiet when autofocusing. When using servo AF the lens have a clicking/ticking sound as it searches for focus. It's sounds like many of my other lenses but I'm a bit surprised of how loud it sounds. It's a bit louder than my RF 24-240mm (my only other RF lens). It's hearable with the eye up to the viewfinder and its the same with IS on or OFF. The IS doesn't make much sound at all.

When using One Shot AF it is more quiet but makes some small ticks when acquiring focus, the same goes for video. 

Here are a video of the lens in Servo AF with the lens very close up to the phone. 

https://youtu.be/9EX78TlKzeY?si=eG-NMvvuAKA0gcCr

I'm starting to think I've got a bad copy in some way? I'm very happy with it otherwise, but I can't shake the feeling of unsatisfaction with how it sounds when so many others report they can barely hear it. 

What are your thoughts about it and how is your 70-200's sounds when focusing using Servo AF?

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Brand new lens, call Canon support 1 (800) 652-2666 don't mess with it until Canon says OK.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm not in the US, if this is a US number?

I have contacted the store I bought it from and I am going to the store tomorrow so they can look at it. The problem is though that I need the lens next weekend if they want to send it in for repair...

Sorry to learn you are having challenges:
It would be helpful to know where you are located.  In any case, if you go to your local Canon website and look under service or support, you should find the contact details for your local Canon service number.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements