cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No AF on Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

Filip_Herrlin
Contributor

Hello! 

I have a Canon EOS 60D with a 50mm f/1.4 USM lens. When I try to focus the lens there is no movement at all, but I can hear a really quiet, fast ticking sound when I hold down the focus button as if the motor is trying to move. I can hear about 3-4 separate ticks each time i press the button. When I hold my hand in front of the lens (too close for the lens to be able to focus) there is no sound.

Later I opened the lens up to see if the motor was stuck or broken, but I'm not sure. The motor looks fine, but has quite much resistance when I try to spin it. Though, when I lifted the bottom metallic part of the rotating thing at the top of the motor, the motor spun with close to no resistance. Could the motor be broken? Or is there anything else that could be the problem?

Thankful for any help I can get!

3 REPLIES 3

Peter
Authority
Authority

The moving part in the front is fragile. A lens hood protects it from hits/bumps.

There should be some tutorials on YouTube if you search for EF 50 1.4 af repair.

I have been looking for a solution, but haven't found anyone with the same problem as I've been having. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It belongs in a professional service shop. Not knowing how to repair a camera lens can make a small repair escalate to an impossible repair.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements