cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II Sigma Lens compatibility?

Kelevdel
Apprentice

I’m just a self taught mom who likes to take photos and I need help.  I have a Canon 7dii and recently bought a used sigma 50-15mm f2.8. 
however, upon unboxing and attaching to my camera, I found that it doesn’t seem to work. The camera light on back flashes and the lcd displays remains black. It makes a noise as well. 
is this lens incompatible of do i need an adapter?

please help?

7 REPLIES 7

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you know what specific mount you purchased with the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 lens? You'd need the EF mount (Sigma part # 00-85126-69254-4).  It also comes in two other mounts (Nikon F and Sigma SA).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Kelevdel
Apprentice

I feel dumb. I don’t have a mount for it. I did get it to attach properly and can now take photos but it makes a funny noise? 

Greetings,

Questions are good.  Please don't feel dumb 😊  What Ricky was saying.  Sigma makes 3 versions of the same lens.  One for Canon, One for Nikon and one for their own cameras.  You need the Canon EF version of the lens.  This is the one which "fits" your camera.  No special mount or adapter is needed.

Buying used gear can be great, or not good if someone has not been honest or truthful about the condition or function of their product.  Did you buy something from a private party, eBay, etc?  Is it returnable.  Tell us more about the noise?     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The OP was able to attach the lens to the camera so it already has a mount. The lens is probably NOT compatible. "however, upon unboxing and attaching to my camera, I found that it doesn’t seem to work".

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Update: I am able to take pictures with it, but it continues to make the same noise. I will try to attach a video to the original post if I can.

I bought the lens from adorama. I’ve gotten several other lenses from them, and have been very happy in the past.

4F9EED8E-CE1F-474E-A66A-93A2BFE12565.pngI attached the picture of the one I just purchased.

Does the lens continuously make the noise. Switch the lens to manual focus and turn the focus ring to see if the noise continues. It could be the Image Stabilizer in the lens. Test with the Image Stabilizer (OS) OFF. With the AF/MF switch to AF to see if the noise goes away. Lenses should be quiet when being used. It should NOT be making any type of squealing or grinding noises. If it is I recommend returning the lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements