cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D autofocus tracking???

Bazsl
Rising Star

Will the phase detect 19 point AF system in the 70D track subjects moving toward the camera at 100 miles per hour in AI Server mode? In other words, is the 70D usable for still photos of aircraft in flight, horse racing and automobile racing? Any references to articles on the 70D AF sustem that discuss its ability to track subjects moving toward the camera would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If it's better than the 7D it won't be by much from what I've read but I haven't put any effort in that either. I have shot Radio Control events with a 7D with very good results & that's harder than full scale. I've also shot car racing with a 40D & had a pretty good keeper rate.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80

cicopo
Elite

My rural wireless service is useless for videos but some of what you're trying to learn should be here.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos_70d_interview_with_developers.shtml?categ...

Also as I understand it AI Servo depends heavily on algorithms to calculate your targets next position as it moves as long as you're tracking it with the half press or back AF button. The AF system is also influenced by the lens used, and L's work best for action. You're skill set is also a big part of it as panning is part of action photography.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for the link but I am not interested in the new dual pixel AF system used for live view/video shooting. I am a still photographer who shoots using he viewfinder AF system. The 19 point viewfinder AF system appears to be identical to the autofocus system in the 7D. My question is, is the 19 point viewfinder AF system in the 70D as good at tracking subjects moving toward the camera as the AF system in the 7D? Is it better than the 7D?

Bill

If it's better than the 7D it won't be by much from what I've read but I haven't put any effort in that either. I have shot Radio Control events with a 7D with very good results & that's harder than full scale. I've also shot car racing with a 40D & had a pretty good keeper rate.

If the 70D is as good at tracking as the 7D it should do everything I need. I have 60D that I bought before I started shooting aircraft and other action subjects. With only nine AF points I sometimes lose focus on airplanes because I cannot keep an AF point on an area of the airplane that has lines that the AF system can use. The photographers I know who use the 7D do not have that problem. I would like to upgrade and the question I have is, should I get a 7D or a 70D? If the 70D autofocus is as good as the 7D then I think the 70D is the best choice.

What len are you using for the aircraft stuff? Last year I sold my 7D at the end of my event season but it was used a lot with the 100-400 L on it for those planes that were away from the flight line. I used a 1D4 with a 28-300 L for the flight line & immediate area. Before that season I relied on the 1Ds2 & a 35-350 L for the flight line stuff & either the 1D2n or the 7D with the 100-400. It took a while to trust that the 7D could replace the 1D2n but it did & it did it well. It wasn't every bit as fast AF wise but the extra pixels more than made up for the very slight difference in AF systems. Keep in mind R/C events are generally held in good to great light.

This is the link to an event album from last year featuring EDF jets (electric ducted fan) and it's the most challenging thing I shoot due to size & their speed. The basic photo information will tell you which body took the photo.

https://picasaweb.google.com/TCPRCphotos/RideauFlyersRCClub3rdAnnualEDFEventJune2012#

Considering that what I have read the 70D should be capable of the same captures but maybe not the same FPS but the lens also needs to have a fast AF too. I've gone through several lenses learning what fits my needs best. 

I am using the 100-400mm L for in-flight shots. For pictures on the tarmac I usually use my 6D and 24-105L or Tamron 28-300.

Bill

If I understand your question, whether to get a 70D or 7D, I will say this; the 70D is more "Rebelish" and the 7D is more "Pro" level. If you already have the 6D, a 7D will feel right to you. But I must ask if you are in the price range of two cameras, why not just get the 5D Mk III and be done with it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A full frame body is going to give away a lot of artificial reach. The 100-400 looses a lot of reach when used on FF for aviation or birds.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If I understand your question, whether to get a 70D or 7D, I will say this; the 70D is more "Rebelish" and the 7D is more "Pro" level. If you already have the 6D, a 7D will feel right to you. But I must ask if you are in the price range of two cameras, why not just get the 5D Mk III and be done with it?

I do not understand your comments. I currently have a 60D and a 6D. I need an APS-C camera because I need the extra reach the crop sensor provides for aviation and wildlife photography. I use the 6D for landscapes and other static subjects. I also find having two bodies is usefull when I can't switch lenses. Prior to my current setup I had a Rebel T1i.

The 5D III has an excellent autofocus system but I need the good autofocus system on my APS-C camera, not my full frame. The controls and menus on my 60D and 6D are almost identical and are very different from the T1i I used to own. The 70D appears to have the same control layout as the cameras I own now.

I don't understand what you mean when you say that the 7D is more "Pro". Granted the 7D has a stronger frame and better weather sealing but I am an amature and I do not shoot in hostile environments. Is the 7D better than the 70D for shooting subjects that are moving rapidly? If so, why, specifically, is the 7D better? Thanks for your insight.

Bill

Announcements