cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Problems

LarryK
Apprentice
  • My EOS 70D has started giving a BUSY message everytime the shutter button is pressed if the flash is opened automatically or manually.  The message appears for about 10-15 seconds and then an Error code 50 message appears. I am also getting a fairly persistent message that says "Faulty communication between lens and camera. Clean lens contacts with soft microfiber cloth and reinstall."  I have done the requested cleaning multiple times on each of my three Canon lenses.  The described problems occur with all three lenses. I have also turned the camera off and back on multiple times and have removed the battery and reinstalled multiple times as requested by the Error code 50 message. Nothing has helped. Any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Larry,

"Clean lens contacts with soft microfiber cloth and reinstall."

I have never seen this work.  But some guys I have talked to say it does sometimes.  The act of changing the lens tends to clean the contacts.  I suspect it has only worked for people that rarely change their lens.

Error 50 suggested remedy is to turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power back on again.

If this doesn't work you are left with a service call which you need to do today.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Unfortunatley, you've done almost all of the standard troubleshooting to identify where the fault lies, and it seems to lie with the camera itself.  Make sure that the pins inside of the camera mount still have their spring return action.

I'd say contact Canon U.S. Support.  I think your camera is still well worth getting repaired.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Larry,

"Clean lens contacts with soft microfiber cloth and reinstall."

I have never seen this work.  But some guys I have talked to say it does sometimes.  The act of changing the lens tends to clean the contacts.  I suspect it has only worked for people that rarely change their lens.

Error 50 suggested remedy is to turn the power off, then remove and re-install the battery. Then turn the power back on again.

If this doesn't work you are left with a service call which you need to do today.

EB

LarryK
Apprentice
Thanks for your response. I was afraid what you said would be the case. My first Canon SLR camera was a 1969 AE. It wouldn't automatically do all the things that digital SLR's do today but it sure didn't have the electronics issues either. I still have that camera and I bet it still works great. Problem is it uses film.

Larry,

" Problem is it uses film."

Not a problem!  Just an inconvenience.  I still have my F1, F1n and A1.  I was going through an old box in the storage room and found 24 rolls of Fuji 200.  I guess I'll just have to shoot it up.  The only thing I can think of to do with it! Smiley Very Happy

EB

Larry,

I too have lots of Canon equuipment in my shop and expericing the same problems as most of the new Canon camera owners. These new digital cameras seem to have a lifespan of about 5 years before they start to give problems. At over $1500.00 each, this is totally unexceptable. When they do start to give error codes, It's usually cheaper to buy a new one than pay  for the repairs. This was true with my EOS 10D,EOS 50D, and now the EOS 70D. Don't know if I'll be buying the EOS 80D. Been looking at Sony or something similar. Canon don't seem to be too concerned about fixing this problem.

Good luck,

Mo

bncanton
Contributor

Canon EOS 70D

Received my Canon EOS 70D back from repair on January 25th the mother board needed to be replaced because I was getting error 80 and it was basically and expensive paperweight.  It cost me around $224 to have it repaired (which infuriated me after all the money I spent on the camera to purchase it 3 years earlier) - Once I got it back I started using it a lot for engangement shots and just general usage because it only has a 6 month warranty.. Well it worked OK for about 2 months and starting giving me busy messages and the shutter speed is so slow I miss the shots completely

I've written to Canon repair in hopes they will replace it or at least repair it.  Wish I didn't have so much money tied up in Canon but at this point I can't keep sinking money into a product and company that doesn't care about their customers or product.  I'm going to start researching other brands and hopefully be able to sell my Canon products.

@bncanton wrote:

Canon EOS 70D

Received my Canon EOS 70D back from repair on January 25th the mother board needed to be replaced because I was getting error 80 and it was basically and expensive paperweight.  It cost me around $224 to have it repaired (which infuriated me after all the money I spent on the camera to purchase it 3 years earlier) - Once I got it back I started using it a lot for engangement shots and just general usage because it only has a 6 month warranty.. Well it worked OK for about 2 months and starting giving me busy messages and the shutter speed is so slow I miss the shots completely

I've written to Canon repair in hopes they will replace it or at least repair it.  Wish I didn't have so much money tied up in Canon but at this point I can't keep sinking money into a product and company that doesn't care about their customers or product.  I'm going to start researching other brands and hopefully be able to sell my Canon products.

I think you're letting your wrath get the better of your common sense. The problem you (and many others) are having seems to be unique to the 70D. I can quite understand why you're sore about it, but aside from the 70D, Canon is still the industry leader in the overall quality of its products and service. And even if you were to simply write off your 70D and replace it with, say, an 80D, it's sure to cost you much less than replacing all of your equipment with that of another manufacturer. Is teaching Canon a lesson really worth it all?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" I'm going to start researching other brands and hopefully be able to sell my Canon products."

No other camera maker is better than Canon at CS.  If you are not satisfied with Canon you are going to be less satisfied with any of the others if you need their CS.

"I've written to Canon repair in hopes they will replace it or at least repair it."

My guess is, if you do still have a warranty on the work they did, they will fix it for you.  Be polite, they are just people too.

EB

YES!!
Announcements