cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Pics taken with Speedlite 300EZ are almost white

Meehos
Apprentice

Hi
I have recently purchased a lovely 70D and have an old 300EZ speedlite in my cupboard , so I fitted new batteries , pressed the test button, works OK, then fitted it to the 70D switched to P , mode , set the iso to 100 , took a few indoor shots that came out almost white.
I rarely use a flash , but only tried this as I already have it , so I'm a bit green when it comes to using a flash unit.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I think the EZ is a manual flash on the 70D. Use Av mode to control the exposure.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

From the 70D manual:

Untitled.jpg

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Old EZ Series speedlites use an older version of TTL flash metering called A-TTL. This form of flash metering is incompatible with digital cameras. The flash will fire at full output only. Some EZ Series speedlites can be set to manual mode. But these speedlites cannot provide E-TTL Auto flash exposure. They only will work fully automatically on an EOS film body. To gain full compatibility you must use an EX series or EL-1 & EL-100 speedlites. On an EOS digital camera. A-TTL was replaced by E-TTL in 1995 with the release of the Elan II/ 7 film body. 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Announcements