cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D - Direst to computer WIFI Remote Control

traytill
Apprentice

I have a D70 which I cannot connect directly via WIFI to my Toshiba Z10t computer (Windows 10) for remote control. I successfully connected the remote control feature to my Android phone but the computer cannot connect to the computer.

For computer wifi connection I use the following sequence:

On the D70:

1. Enable WIFI

2. WIFI Function->Remote Control (EOS) Utility -> Select Computer Icon

3.  Find Network <OK>

4. <enter connection>

5. select "Ad Hoc" <OK>

6. Select Camera (my cameras name is 70D)

7. Select "Auto Setting" <OK>

8. Encryption Settings - Select "None" <OK>

9.BUSY .... Please Wait Appears

Now go to Computer and Review active WIFI Connections

1. On the computer in the network settings select the 70D Network icon

2. At this point I get a message : "Can't connect to this network" and cannot get past this point

----- Do you have any suggestions how to get past this and connect so I can remotely control the camera from my computer --- I am not usung a wireless router but connecting computer directly to camera instead---

Thank you in advance 

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
See if this helps

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3588666

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/wft_setup_guides.shtml
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Just wanted to give you an update. I was able to connect the 70D via WIFI and wireless router to my Toshiba Z10t for remote camera control. This works well although it dose restrict use of the remote control option of the camera to the availability of a router.

As I plan to use the 70D for astrophotography, many times a router will not be available at remote telescope viewing sites, and I will need to connect the 70D directly to my computer via WIFI (connection of computer to the 70D via USB connection is not practical as the USB cable attached to the camera which is mounted to my telescope increases the potential for movement of the setup, thus motion on the image).

When you have a resolution allowing me to connect the 70D via WIFI directly to my Z10T Toshiba computer please let me know. Thank you for your efforts to assist me with this issue.

I cannot help. Try calling Canon directly via their help line or support email. Thay have always been very prompt in responding to me when I have contacted them.

Have you considerd device such as CamRanger?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah and that's frustrating. I can connect via my android to the camera wifi SSD. I can use that to connect from Windows 10 but the eos utility won't allow remote shooting.  Having to use a router in this scenario is really annoying.  The whole point of using Windows is it's the only way to set up numerous shots automatically.  If the android app had that ONE feature, I could use my phone and let it run over night, etc.

Also, remote shooting using Windows seems to force a download of each image, which slows down the shooting process too much. I don't see a setting that bypasses that or it's not working.

Does anyone at Canon actually test and use these features like real consumers do?

Very annoying to have a camera with wifi capability and have very useful features hobbled.

AND not support the camera and software long term.  Cameras are kept for many many years and should be supported with regular firmware updates and client software.

You can use MagicLantern custom firmware in order to set the camera to shoot automaticaly periodcaly. It's very easy

Thank you. Please see my most recent post.

eliote87
Apprentice

I have the exactly same problem, with my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. It seems to be a Windows 10 issue I think

Announcements