cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Power OUT

TopShutter
Contributor

My  6D MK11 which I have owned since October 2018 is not powering on.

It has been working fine until I tried out a 300 2.8 L lens (in v good condition) I managed 3 photos and the power just went and never came back.Tried charging batteries, switching SD car and still no power. Any assistance will  help before I send to an authorized Canon repair store. You tube videos suggest an Internal fuse may have to be replaced.

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Will the camera power up with the lens removed. Which EF 300mm F/2.8L version were you using. Canon has released 3 different versions of this lens. Was this a new or a used lens? 

• EF 300mm F/2.8L USM
  • EF 300mm F/2.8L IS USM
  • EF 300mm F/2.8L IS II USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

It's the 1st version 300 2.8 L version of the lens.  Their is NO POWER with any lens.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Will the lens work with another body. You may have an issue with that lens which is causing your camera not to power up now. The camera and lens may need to be sent in for repair. Have you tried another battery to rule out a bad battery. Was this a used lens I don't think Canon services this lens anymore.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I changed batteries it's definitely not a battery Issue. So is there is a possibility that the lens electronics could cause the camera malfunction? I haven't tried the lens on any other camera body just yet tho.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

A malfunctioning lens can cause a camera to shut down. Or cause the body not to power up even after the lens was unmounted. Try testing the lens on another body to see what happens. If the 2nd body shuts down its a lens issue not a body issue. Was this a used lens.

-Demetrius

Thanks alot deebatman I'm not willing to try another body on the lens so will make arrangements to get checked out by a Canon dealer thanks again.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Canon no longer services the EF 300mm F/2.8L USM lens. Canon still repairs the 6D Mark II though.

-Demetrius

Thanks again buddy will look for an Independent repair shop for the lens.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If the lens can't be repaired there are plenty of used versions. Canon also has an online shop where new and used lenses are sold.

-Demetrius

Announcements