cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Geotagging problems - correct coordinates not saved to image

NPT
Apprentice

I have a Canon 6D camera and the GPS has always worked well up until a few months ago.  I still think the GPS is working properly.   However, it does NOT geotag the  pictures correctly.  I can look at the GPS readings (location) on the screen of the camera and I know they are pretty close to the correct coordinates but if I take a picture those coordinates are NOT what shows up in the picture.  Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi NPT,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with the GPS coordinates in your photos. To trouble shoot this we need to double check a couple of things. Are you using the Canon GP-E2 in the hot shoe of the camera to get the GPS coordinates? Are the coordinates showing an incorrect location in your photos, or is the issue that no coordinates are showing in the EXIF data of the photo? If you are seeing incorrectly GPS location data are you viewing it when you import the photos to your computer, or are the coordinates incorrect when you playback the photos on the camera itself?

One general thing to double check is where you are doing the testing. If you are using the GP-E2 it needs direct line of sight with the positioning satellites to save the data. So if you are testing indoors that can cause issues where the location data is either incorrect or might not be saved at all. So if you have been testing this indoors it would be good to take the camera outdoors and check to see if the same thing happens.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@NPT wrote:

I have a Canon 6D camera and the GPS has always worked well up until a few months ago.  I still think the GPS is working properly.   However, it does NOT geotag the  pictures correctly.  I can look at the GPS readings (location) on the screen of the camera and I know they are pretty close to the correct coordinates but if I take a picture those coordinates are NOT what shows up in the picture.  Any ideas?

If the GPS coordinates seem correct in the camera, then the images are being tagged correctly.  Where and how are you viewing the images when the GPS coordinates seem incorrect?  PC?  Phone?  Which app?

Are you reviewing RAW or JPG files when they seem incorrect?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, i finally figured out that it was Microsoft's Photo program that was the problem.  They've improved it enough so it doesn't work at all. 🙂 The odd thing is that it works on Android photos but it you look at the properties of a picture from a Samsung phone the GPS coordinates are stored in a completely differ format than the Canon camera stores them.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements