cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 60D focusing issues

Audioguy2997
Contributor

My 60D indicates that the picture is in focus, all the squares light up red ,the camera beeps & the shutter takes the picture, but when I look at the picture it is not in Focus, this happens in both manual and autofocus modes, this happens on all my lenses it doesn't matter which one i use. it's not completely out of focus, its just that the focus is not crisp. it also doesn't matter under what lighting conditions im shooting in, it could be daylight, tungsten , led 

16 REPLIES 16

@Audioguy2997 wrote:

My 60D indicates that the picture is in focus, all the squares light up red ,the camera beeps & the shutter takes the picture, but when I look at the picture it is not in Focus, this happens in both manual and autofocus modes, this happens on all my lenses it doesn't matter which one i use. it's not completely out of focus, its just that the focus is not crisp. it also doesn't matter under what lighting conditions im shooting in, it could be daylight, tungsten , led 

Is any part of the picture in focus?

Do you see the same problem in live view?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No part of the picture has a crisp focus, yes the problem is the same live mode also

@Audioguy2997 wrote:
No part of the picture has a crisp focus, yes the problem is the same live mode also

That sugests that the problem may be camera shake and/or a shutter speed that's too slow.

Bob

"That sugests that the problem may be camera shake and/or a shutter speed that's too slow."

This is exactly why we need to know all the info involved.  It is possible it may not be the gear at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's not blur, it's just slightly soft, this happens even if I'm on a tripod and in auto

@Audioguy2997 wrote:

If no part of the picture has crisp focus, it is NOT a focus issue!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Try something like this:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_testing.html

Is it in focus if you are at the hyperfocal distance?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Try something like this:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/focus_testing.html

Is it in focus if you are at the hyperfocal distance?

From the cited article:

"However if you are shooting with a camera that has microfocus adjustment (like most current EOS DSLRs except for the Rebel series), you can make corrections yourself."

The operative word is "most". The 60D, unlike its predecessor (50D) and successor (70D), lacks that feature.

Bob

I wasn't trying to get him to adjust microfocus, just see where the lens is focussing.

I suspect he is shooting a chart (how else could all the leds light) and pixelpeeping at 200% and then  mistaking softness for out of focus.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements