cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5Dsr Battery Communication error.

wrm23wrk
Apprentice

I used my EOS 5Dsr last Thursday and Friday to shoot fall foliage photos.  I shot over 1000 pictures without any problems over those 2 days.  I went to use it for a couple quick photos this morning and, immediately upon turning it on, I was met with a message displayed on the back screen that read: "Battery communication error.  Does this battery/do these batteries display the Canon logo?  No  Yes"   After selecting Yes, the message stated that the batteries may be counterfeit and that the camera was going to automatically shut off to protect it from potential damage.

I switched out that battery with 3 different batteries, and continued to get the same error message with each battery.  All of my batteries were purchased from Canon and I've been using them for the last several months (in this camera or my 7D) without any issue up to this point.  The lens mounted on the camera is a Canon lens, and I continued to receive the same error message with or without a lens being attached, or with/without memory cards being installed.  Anyone with a similar issue?  Any help or suggestions that I can perform to perhaps clear this problem would be appreciated.  TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello wrm23wrk,

I'm sorry to hear of the issue with your batteries. Do the batteries work in your other Canon camera body? If so, then there is an issue with your EOS 5DS R. You can try cleaning the contacts on the batteries and check the battery compartment of the camera to ensure that it is clean and free of any debris.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello wrm23wrk,

I'm sorry to hear of the issue with your batteries. Do the batteries work in your other Canon camera body? If so, then there is an issue with your EOS 5DS R. You can try cleaning the contacts on the batteries and check the battery compartment of the camera to ensure that it is clean and free of any debris.

wrm23wrk
Apprentice

Thanks for getting back to me John, and I appreciate your assistance.  I did NOT initially try using the batteries in my 7D (What are the odds that all 4 batteries went bad over the span of just 2 days, especially when 2 of them sat at home unused over the prior 2 days when I had been out with the 5D?), but I DID try them all in the 7D on your suggestion, just for completeness.  All of the batteries work fine in the 7D, while I continue to get the battery error warning with any 1 of the 4 of them in the 5D.  I did try cleaning the battery contacts as well as checking and cleaning the camera's battery compartment, and, as I feared would happen, I still continue to get the same error message.  I'll be packing up the 5D to send in for servicing/repairs sometime over the next few days.  Again, thank you for your quick response and suggestions.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements