cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark iii HDMI Output Varies between Clean and Showing OSD Depending on Connected Device

jongraphs
Contributor

Hello Cannon Community,

My EOS 5D Mark ii HDMI ouput varies between showing clean HDMI output and showing OSD, depending on what device I connect it to. Essentially, on some devices the HDMI "Mirroring" function just isn't recognizing, so I get OSD. Whenever this happens, the LCD screen also goes black.

Is it possible the camera is doing EDID, recognizing what is on the other end, and as a result it is changing it's mode somehow?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is my understanding that the 5D Mark III is capable of "clean" HDMI output beginning the firmware v1.2.1.  It should be able to simultaneously produce the HDMI signal and display video on the rear LCD.

You did not say what devices you are connecting the camera to, but check your camera's video signal frame rate and resolution match up with your targeted device connected to the HDMI signal.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks. I am connecting it to a TVOne Video Scaler / Switcher DVI input.I am suspecting that it is a different resolution than the 1080p / 30fps that camera is set to deliver. 

When I connect the camera to other devices it functions properly, displaying on both the LCD and connected monitor (without OSD).

Hi there,

Based on what you describe, I do think it is possible the camera is responding differently to different devices. One thing you may try is cycling through the options of the camera's [INFO.] button to see if the OSD changes once it is connected.

jongraphs
Contributor
Thanks. Tried it but still have OSD.

I’m in the process of reconfiguring the input resolutions on the scaler that I am connecting the camera to so that the inputs are set to expect 1920x1080. Not sure what it’s set to now. Ordered a serial cable to be able to make config changes on the scaler, so hopefully I’ll have it tomorrow to be able to do that.

So I found out that my scaler is a model that does not support adjusting EDID information (to configure the input port to expect a certain resolution). I'm screwed.

Announcements