cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Lightroom Issues

knowoneuno
Contributor

I have a very old Mac Book Pro, running on 2 gigs of memory and the last version of software that this Mac will take.  With that being said, is there any Lightroom program I can use to work my files in RAW from my new 5D Mark III?

I travel a lot, so I'd like to be able to use my Mac on the road to see some of my files.

I have a Windows 8 desktop at home and the newest version of Lightroom and Photoshop CC on it.

But for the life of me, I cannot find a Lightroom version that works with the new Raw files this camera puts out.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

The latest version of Lightroom is 4.4.1 and it supports 5D Mark III.
It also works on your OS.
Processor: Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
• RAM: 2GB of RAM
• Hard Disk: 1GB of available hard-disk space
• Display: 1024x768 monitor resolution
• Internet connection required for Internet-based services*
Download link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5599

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

No it won't.

My chip is the 32 bit processor Intel Chip.....someone posted something earlier about this.

I've got the chip that doesn't work with this version of Lightroom, at least I think it won't.

Smiley Frustrated

You should be able to DL the 32 bit version of LR4 from the Adobe website.

Edit: Am I reading this right, for Mac your only choice is 64 bit since version 4.1?

@hsbn wrote:

The latest version of Lightroom is 4.4.1 and it supports 5D Mark III.
It also works on your OS.
Processor: Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
• RAM: 2GB of RAM
• Hard Disk: 1GB of available hard-disk space
• Display: 1024x768 monitor resolution
• Internet connection required for Internet-based services*
Download link: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5599

It's the processor requirement that's the problem.  It requires a 64-bit processor.  A "Core Duo" is a 32 bit processor.  A "Core 2 Duo" is a 64 bit processor.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

That is the problem, my processor.

Any work around anyone can think of?  So frustrating.

Are you trying to be able to edit shots on the road?  I only ask because in your original post you mentioned being able to “see” your photos.  If you’re just trying to view/show your portfolio then I’d say just use the cloud or disk with a jpg.  But I doubt you’d be asking if that’s all you were trying to do.

Have you tried the Adobe DNG converter?  Unfortunately it looks like the Adobe download site is down right now so I can’t check the specs.  But if you could run the converter then you could convert to DNG and edit that way – I believe that LR3 will process the DNG without issue?

Other than that, you can try third party viewers.  Is Picasa still around?  I used to use that on one of my Laptops that was running an archaic version of Windows and didn’t have a recent enough Photoshop for my RAW files.  Then I learned about the DNG converter and used that instead.  The only problem with third party options like Picasa is that your edits aren’t going to transfer from one to the other.

Dun1
Contributor

The one thing I see that is causing problems is the limited RAM in your machine.

That having been said, have you tried or taken a look at importing your files into iPhoto, and yes I know it's clunky and its like trying to stack BB's with gloves on.  It might be a workaround until you can upgrade your Mac Book Pro.  After they have been imported into iPhoto you can export the original file and move it to machine you intend to use to process the images.

The problem isn't the lack of memory, yes, I understand, this Mac Book Pro has very low memory.  The problem is the chip is old and the new Camera Raw plug-ins and the newest version of Lightroom do not work with my chip.

I do appreciate your reply, but the problem isn't in the lack of memory.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements