cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Changing metering mode

HollyHey
Apprentice

Hi, 
I have a Canon 5D Mark iii, and I'm exposing manually with Rokinon cinema lenses. I'm shooting at 1/50th, f4, and adjusting ISO as needed to normalize a gray card via the histogram. The shots look balanced and properly exposed in preview via the monitor and histogram but are several stops over-exposed after capturing when I preview them in camera. I have not looked at files in an editing program. I am capturing both RAW and JPeg L. 

I cannot seem to change my metering mode which is set to evaluative. I want to set it to center weighted which I think will balance out the exposures. The instructions I can find to change the metering mode tell me to press the WB button and adjust with the jog wheel in the LCD display, but I only see adjustment options for the white balance. 

Please advise, 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

HollyHey,

On the back of your camera, there should be a button marked  Q.

If you press that, you should be able to tap directly on the meter settings to change them, or you can scroll there with the arrow keys. Press Set to enter your change.

Hit the Q button again to exit the Quick Control panel and go back to shooting.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

HollyHey,

On the back of your camera, there should be a button marked  Q.

If you press that, you should be able to tap directly on the meter settings to change them, or you can scroll there with the arrow keys. Press Set to enter your change.

Hit the Q button again to exit the Quick Control panel and go back to shooting.

Steve Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

After pressing the WB/Metering Mode button, use the Main Dial (wheel next to the shutter button) to change the metering mode. The metering mode display is in the lower right-hand side of the top LCD panel.

HollyHey
Apprentice

Thank you. 

Do you know why the histogram would display intermittently? Meaning, although selected in the menu, it doesn't always show on the display when toggling the INFO button. 

Do you know why the histogram would display intermittently? Meaning, although selected in the menu, it doesn't always show on the display when toggling the INFO button. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are zoomed into the picture, the Info button will not toggle to the screen with the histogram. You must be viewing the image without using the magnify button.

Announcements