cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 4000d black screen but camera shoots. help!

rigelkitty
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired an EOS 4000d from someone who used it only sparingly (allegedly). The first time, I was able to take a few shots, and everything looked ok; today, the LCD screen went black again and never came back. Right before that, I was trying to zoom in on a flower bud. I was unhappy with the automatic mode and switched to manual, and that's when the blackout happened.

Actually, when I switch between modes, the screen flashes for a moment with the usual text, but it goes black immediately.

The camera sounds like it autofocuses with each mode I select, and it appears to shoots photos and save them to the SD. I've tried a lot of things that I've read about:

-removed SD card and battery

-put a new battery in

-cleaned all contacts

-removed the rubber cup on the viewfinder (and it looks like this model has no proximity sensor anyway)

Does anyone have another idea? Is there some hard reset button hidden somewhere that would allow me at least to reset everything to factory defaults?

Thanks in advance!

27 REPLIES 27

rigelkitty
Contributor
None of those. I bought it on ebay. Tested it immediately, and it worked fine. Put it back in its box until the next day, in my room. Took it out again to try a few more shots, in my living room, no water, no heat, no nothing.. and it went dead after a few minutes.

rigelkitty
Contributor
Ah I wasn't saying it's weird because there are no physical signs of damage.
What I mean is: the screen shows some text for a split second when I turn the dial to switch between modes. It just flashes and goes blank again. If I press DISP or MENU it stays blank.
The screen also works when in video mode. It shows stuff. Image and text. But if I press menu, nothing happens.
So the LCD bit does work. It is not broken. Something else is the matter. A connection of a software issue, I dunno.

" I bought it on ebay. Tested it immediately, and it worked fine. Put it back in its box until the next day, in my room. Took it out again to try a few more shots,..."

OK it sounds like you did this recently and not much time has passed.  You most likely have eBay warranty and can either return it or get your money back as it is obviously broken and you did nothing wrong or abusive to it. Did the seller say it was in good working condition? It is not so it needs to go back or refunded.

If you decide, I would not, to go the repair route as Stephen suggested, make sure you get an estimate first.  The repair can quickly overcome the retail value of a 4 year old 4000D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rigelkitty
Contributor
Yeah he says he used it very sparingly and it always worked fine. It did work when I first tried it, to be honest. It feels super weird that it should die on me just the next day, though, but I also feel bad for the seller if he is telling the truth. Perhaps it was mishandled during transport.
I'll talk to Ebay first and see what the options are.
Thanks!

"It feels super weird that it should die on me just the next day,..."

You know the old saying, "Anything made by the hand of man can and will fail." Every seller takes some responsibility to make sure you get the item in reasonable working order.  You did not. Don't feel bad because this is in them. Now if you have had the camera for months or even weeks and used it, it is on you but not at this point. eBay has a very liberal guarantee designed just in cases like this. 

"I'll talk to Ebay first and see what the options are."

This is a good idea because I am not an Ebay expert but I have used them for a few items.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amarildo
Apprentice

Any chance you fixed it? I am experiencing almost the same issue

Hi there! I have this same issue. Did you find out what tge problem was please?

MBTC88
Apprentice

Hi there, did you ever find out the issue please? Thanks.

Announcements