cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 4000d black screen but camera shoots. help!

rigelkitty
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired an EOS 4000d from someone who used it only sparingly (allegedly). The first time, I was able to take a few shots, and everything looked ok; today, the LCD screen went black again and never came back. Right before that, I was trying to zoom in on a flower bud. I was unhappy with the automatic mode and switched to manual, and that's when the blackout happened.

Actually, when I switch between modes, the screen flashes for a moment with the usual text, but it goes black immediately.

The camera sounds like it autofocuses with each mode I select, and it appears to shoots photos and save them to the SD. I've tried a lot of things that I've read about:

-removed SD card and battery

-put a new battery in

-cleaned all contacts

-removed the rubber cup on the viewfinder (and it looks like this model has no proximity sensor anyway)

Does anyone have another idea? Is there some hard reset button hidden somewhere that would allow me at least to reset everything to factory defaults?

Thanks in advance!

27 REPLIES 27

Purpose is to blackout LCD when camera is placed to eye. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Purpose is to blackout LCD when camera is placed to eye."

I think we understand that. I just don't remember it on any of my XTi's.  Could  be. At any rate it doesn't seem to be the problem either there or not in this case.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Purpose is to blackout LCD when camera is placed to eye."

I think we understand that. I just don't remember it on any of my XTi's.  Could  be. At any rate it doesn't seem to be the problem either there or not in this case.

You're right, Ernie. It wasn't a feature on the XTi or XSi, but it was on the T4i and I think they abandoned it on other rebels. At least, it wasn't on the T6s or T7i, But, it's a moot point, for this thread. However, it is a feature on the R6, go figure 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

So, a quick update.

I've managed to connect the camera to my pc, all I can do is download the photos, but I can't write on to the SD (I've downloaded the firmware update file and I'm supposed to copy it to the root folder but.. nada).

The EOS utility software freezes when I try to update the firmware from there. It displays "busy" then dies.

Also, the lens moves by itself like it's trying to focus on something. Even in P mode and with the cap on.

It feels like a software issue. Anyone? Is it toast?

"(I've downloaded the firmware update file and I'm supposed to copy it to the root folder but.. nada)."

It is always a bad idea to try and update FW on a misbehaving camera. Its good that it didn't take. Most likely, if possible, it can only make things worse. I don't think you are going to fix it. Sorry.

EB

A professional photographer suggested that I do that after I showed her the camera, so I trusted her... but thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future!

BTW, about FW updates...........

"A professional photographer suggested that I do that after I showed her the camera, so I trusted her..."

Not taking anything away from this working pro and this photographer may be a wiz bang photographer but she knows little about the mechanics of a camera. My great niece has a very successful career as a photographer but when it comes to the camera internals she is clueless. Like most people I suppose.

When I was working full time I used CPS for service and repairs. Most of the time a FW update goes fine but if it doesn't you can brick a fully functioning camera and only Canon can undo and fix it then. Most of the time the FW just adds a language or small fix to a bug. Sometimes a lens is added, that kinda stuff. You must know if the FW update affects what you do otherwise it isn't needed.

EB

Hi, rigelkitty!

Not a tech, but I used to be one in a past life.

Put the camera in "P" mode on the main dial. Push the <Menu> button. Does a menu display, or is the LCD screen still blank?

If the LCD screen is still blank, the camera requires repair. If you're in the USA, You can start the process HERE. Outside of the USA, you'll need to reach out to Canon in your country. You'll find options HERE.

If you see a menu, go to the third yellow wrench menu and then down to the "Clear Settings" option, and then to "Clear all camera settings," then arrow over to "OK." 

Once you've done that, go down to "Clear all Custom Func. (C.Fn.)" and hit "OK" again.

This will reset your camera back to defaults.

You'll see this on page 192 of the full manual HERE.

I hope this helps! 

Hi Stephen, thanks for the suggestions!

No, I can't see anything at all on the LCD, except in video making mode -- and even there, pressing any button has no effect. I can't access the menu in any way. The LCD also flashes when I turn the dial, but returns blank immediately. That's what's weird, the screen is not physically broken, evidently.

I'll talk to Canon support and see if anything can be done.

Thank you 🙂

"That's what's weird, the screen is not physically broken, evidently."

Its electronic. It doesn't have to show signs of damage to be broken.  Did you drop the camera?  Did you get it wet even just a little? Leave it in a hot car, etc? Many things can cause electronic failures.

EB
Announcements