cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 350D doesn't shoot with lens on AF mode "in most of the creative modes"

Omar1
Contributor

Hi

I just bought a used EOS 350D, with 28mm EFS lens, I noticed some issues, when lens is on AF mode, camera doesn't shoot while on M, Av, Tv, P modes, only shoots on ADEP mode but also without focusing properly, however it works fine on fully automatic modes.

When I switch the lens to MF, the camera shoots on all creative modes but without focusing, a blurred image.

It was shooting on all creative modes as soon as I got it, but after I cleared all settings and custom functions, that issue came into picture.

Any ideas why that might have happened?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well... maybe the lens IS the issue.
We need to eliminate that. Is there anywhere you can get access to an genuine Canon EF or EF-S lens, if only just for a few minutes.  We basically need to attach a known good lens and see how the body behaves.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Are you getting any focus confirmation? What focus mode are you in?

Try to set things up like totally auto mode:

Untitled.jpg

I only get focus confirmation in one creative zone mode, which is ADEP, rest of the creative zone modes I don't, and I'm in one shot AF mode.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
It would be helpful if you can be more specific about the lens model you are using. 

Canon does not make an EF-S 28mm, but there were several EF versions produced.  It is possible that the lens is the issue and if you can test the AF of the camera with a different lens that would be helpful.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Sorry, a typo, it's an EFS-24mm 1:2.8 STM lens, and unfortunately I don't have other lenses, I'm new to photography, still learning, so that's my only lens currently 🙂

No problem Omar:
Thanks for that correction. I was concerned that the lens was an older one that might have autofocus issues if manually focused but that is certainly not the case here. You can manually focus it when AF is selected on the lens with no issue.
So, we are tending back towards the camera and its interface with the lens.
When you write: "When I switch the lens to MF, the camera shoots on all creative modes but without focusing, a blurred image", are you actually manually turning the focusing ring to get focus, because that is what is required in MF lens setting.
In an attempt to get a better picture of the issue, and perhaps isolate the cause, can I ask:
Is the battery able to be fully charged, and is it a genuine Canon battery?

One thing I might suggest is to turn the camera off, remove the CF card, remove the lens and then the battery.  Leave it for a couple of hours and then put everything back in again and turn it on. Try the functions again.
By the way, did you by any chance get a copy of the manual when you purchased this camera?
If not, you can download copy as a PDF: From this link 

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Tronhard, I haven't got a manual when I purchased it, can get it online tho.

The issue is very confusing to me, If I'm on Any of the creative zone modes, with MF, turning the lens focus ring doesn't do anything, focus doesn't change at all, however on the basic zone modes, with MF on, focus ring works as I want.

another thing with that lens that may relate to the issue is that I can't open the settings menu unless the lens is off of the camera, don't know if that's an issue or that's just a 350D limited capability as it's an old one.

Well... maybe the lens IS the issue.
We need to eliminate that. Is there anywhere you can get access to an genuine Canon EF or EF-S lens, if only just for a few minutes.  We basically need to attach a known good lens and see how the body behaves.

cheers, TREVOR

Alright, I guess that's probably the case then, logical, thanks Tronhard.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements