cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250D Freezes when taking a picture

Stanjans
Contributor

Hello, i've had my EOS 250D for two weeks now. Since today when I click the shutter button the screen goes black and the red "writing to sd card" light goes on, it takes 10 seconds to 10+ minutes for it to reset. Afterwards the photo is not on the SD card. Videos still do work.

Nothing weird happened that could cause this, last week I had the same issue but it fixed itself after an hour or so. It now has already been 5+ hours sadly.

Is there anyone that has experienced this before that knows how to fix this?

17 REPLIES 17

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If it is a slow shutter speed and you have the dark frame subtraction turned on, the camera takes another image with the shutter closed, and then subtracts that image from the first one. This can take quite a while.

I reset the settings and it even happens with the basic settings. It also does not save the image, it just resets after a few minutes. So it's not setting related sadly.

The card is too big for your camera. I know that lower end cameras rebel/ XXXXD/XXXD don't like cards larger than 32GB (SDHC).

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

The EOS 250D can work with SDXC cards.   See page 7 of the User Manual.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Even though the manual states that they will work. The lower end cameras just don't like SDXC cards for some reason. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Demetrius may have a point.  Let us know how it turns out using a smaller capacity SD card, 32 GB.  All of the xxxxD bodies, or entry level Rebel bodies, do not work well with SDXC memory cards, despite what the User Manual may say.  

I am not aware of the same issue with xxxD, or beginner Rebel bodies, at all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sadly this did not fix the issue. Guess i'll have to send it for repairs after just two weeks 😕

If the camera is 2 weeks old. It can be exchanged at the retailer you purchased it from. Instead of making expensive repairs.

-Demetrius

Announcements