cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 10 QD won't take photos

Larrylove
Apprentice

Hey Guys,

im relatively new to analog cameras. I got an old Camera (a year ago) from my dad (it’s bought around 1992). Before I started to use it, I did a checkup and everything worked fine. I went on vacation yesterday and was excited to use my camera again. Until I noticed that it doesn’t work anymore. To be specific: I can use all features except taking photos. There is no autofocus and it won’t take any pictures. I tried to reset it but I don’t know how. I already checked the manual + a book my dad bought in the 90’s. Does anybody know any further tips? I already used the objective on another camera (digital) and it worked, so it must be the camera. The battery seems to be full, but is there any possibility that it’s not? I also turned it to manual focus and switched back to auto + tried different settings. Last time it worked a week ago where I did a shooting. 

thanks in advance! 
cheers 

larry

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Clean the contacts on the lens and camera with a soft cloth. Also a weak battery in an EOS film body will cause it not to AF. I would also test other Canon brand EF not EF-S lenses on the camera. It doesn't have to be exact same lens. Also provide the FULL MODEL name of the lens in question.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Hey, 

thanks for the quick response. I already tried to clean it. I switched from AF to manual but that didn’t change anything. I’ll go try a new battery today, maybe that’s the solution. Still wondering because it shows „full battery“. I bought the battery a year ago and flew a few times with it, maybe that’s a reason for it…

Name of the lens: sigma uc zoom 28-70mm 1 3.5-4.5

cheers!

Use a a Canon brand lens not a 3rd Party lens. Sigma lenses are famous for compatibility issues.

-Demetrius

Larrylove
Apprentice

The idea with another lens might be a bit difficult because I’m in nomansland haha. I tried a new battery + without film and lens. But even then there is no shooting possible. I attached a picture of the position from the mirror. When I turn the camera on there is a small „click“ (second mirror) like always. Btw I tried the lens on another canon and it worked but not on my analog one 

So it will be no quick solution and I prob have to let it repair right? 

IMG_8242.jpeg

Edit: even if it looks dirty, I cleaned the contacts several times…I think it’s only the mirror which is a bit dirty over the years 

The camera won't take a picture if it's not in focus. Use a Canon brand EF lens. Not a 3rd Party lens. DO NOT touch the mirror.

-Demetrius

zakslm
Rising Star
Rising Star

Larry,

I used the 10s (same camera without the date imprinting feature) for a long time and don't recall having a similar problem. 

For clarification, are you saying that even without a lens mounted on the camera, the shutter will not fire (mirror flip up and the shutter curtain open and close)?  Do you have film in the camera?  If so, is it jammed or not advancing to the next frame thereby not enabling the shutter to fire?  Maybe try without film in the camera and see if it makes a difference? 

I think I recall that the shutter of the 10s could be fired without a lens on the camera, maybe if it was set to M, but I'm not sure.  Open the back of the camera and try firing the shutter without a lens on the camera.  If it still doesn't fire, maybe turn off the QD (date) function and try fire the shutter with the back closed and a lens on the camera.  I had a date back for my Canon T70 and that date back required a battery to imprint the film. If your 10QD's date back requires a battery and that battery is dead, then maybe that's the thing preventing the shutter from firing.  Then maybe you'll be able to fire the shutter if the QD function is turned off or if you replace the battery in the date back - but that's a wild guess.

You may want to search the Internet for a copy of the owners manual for the 10QD.  There may be some thing in there that will help you solve the problem.  I recall the 10s had some buttons at the bottom center of the back of the camera below the film door and perhaps one or more of those were pressed and is causing the problem.  It's been so long that I don't remember what they controlled, etc.

If the shutter isn't firing and you've tried the above and if you've verified that it still won't fire after trying it with a Canon EF lens attached, then perhaps it's a camera issue and unfortunately may be uneconomical to repair.

I hope that's not the case and your 10QD comes back to life!

Good luck!

LZ 

Announcements