cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust speckles under the LCD monitor screen

mpliska
Contributor

Hi, 

I have a Canon Rebel T3i and have had it for a year and a half.I love it. However, lately I've noticed several speckles of dust under the LCD monitor screen. it's not affecting my pictures but is kind of distracting when i'm looking at the pictures on the monitor. Anyone else familiar with this problem or know what I can do about this?

Mary

31 REPLIES 31

I'm not sure why you're confused, but I'm grateful that Canon wasn't confused and knew exactly what I meant. 🙂

On my first post, I said it was under the LCD monitor screen, which is what Canon also refers to as the display because it's where you display the pictures you have taken. 

And according to Canon, it is very possible to get dirt or dust under there. It can happen when you're replacing a lens or have the lens off for one reason or another. 

I'm just frustrated on what it will cost me to have this repaired. I paid $480 for the camera and now am expected to pay $190 to get rid of this 13 laters.. 

"... the LCD monitor screen ..." "... it's where you display the pictures ..."

Actually this is what is confusing.  You are reffering to the screen on the back of the camera?

123.jpg

"It can happen when you're replacing a lens or have the lens off for one reason or another. "

This LCD screen?   Smiley Frustrated  It is impossibile to get dust under it because you changed the lens!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

yes, that LCD screen.. Not sure how it got there, but according to Canon, it is very possible for dust to get there. 

Are you a Canon Technician?

No I am not.  I have just been doing this longer than dirt.

EB

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I just wondered if you were a technician because you sound so positive in your answer, and I just wondered why two technicians would say two completely opposite things. 

The lens connection area and that LCD are not connected to each other.  Changing the lens can not open the LCD to dust.

I really don't see how, unless a manufactruing defect, could get dust under the LCD screen at all.

There were several brand-N's that did suffer that issue.

You or the Canon tech either did not understand each other or something else is wrong.

EB

It's is definitely the LCD screen. The dust is there whether the screen is on or not. It doesn't affect picture quality. 190$ sure is a lot

KaTaHar
Contributor

For purposes of anyone finding this thread who has a similar issue, yes dust can accumulate inside the LCD screen. I just purchased a used T3i and the LCD screen was full of dust inside.  There are 6 black screws around the LCD screen that need to be removed and 2 silver screws inside to separate the LDC from the plastic casing.  4 of the black screws are only visible if you rotate the LCD and look at the side closest to the camera.  Once all 6 outside and 2 inside screws are removed, the LCD detaches easily from the casing and you can clean the plastic and LCD screen with a lens tissue or microfiber cloth. This took me about 10 minutes and the LCD and plastic is now spotless.  Good luck!

That sounds easy enough. is there any chance that I could wreck something in the process once the screws are off and the LCD monitor is taken apart?

"...is there any chance that I could wreck something..."

Yes!  Not only a chance but likely.

My answer assumed you meant in the LCD itself.  Perhaps that is what the Canon tech thought too. Maybe replacement?  However, I don't even think it likely you can get dust between the LCD screen and the plastic that covers it. I imagine it would have to be in an extremely dusty environment.

It is impossible to get dust in the LCD assembly from changing the lens.

EB
Announcements