cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped my camera

nancyr84
Contributor

Help! My new puppy and my Canon 60D had a bit of a run in and the hotshoe bracket came off the camera. I cannot see how it attaches. I tried holding it on and the flash does fire. I hate to send the camera away to get fixed it’s over 5 years old. I do use the external flash often . I thought about trying to carefully glue it on , is that a crazy idea? 56834659-18B6-4498-A03B-4FE3995B2D11.jpeg

18 REPLIES 18

So it looks like the screws pulled out of the body. 

If you look at the 1D IV exploded view it doesn’t show anything inside the camera like nuts or a backing plate. 

If you disassembled the part into the three pieces shown  I think you could glue the plastic piece on around the contacts and then the larger metal piece to the plastic part, as well as coating the screws with glue and reinserting into the screw holes. 

That’s what I would try if it was my camera. Otherwise it looks like you would need a new top body part. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I must have a part missing . All I have is the one metal one I showed in photo. Gotta go searching, sure hope puppy didn’t find it!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you look closely you have two metal pieces assembled together. Look at the video I posted to see how to take apart.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Black Friday Deals are here.. 60D..  bigger screws, glue? All good suggestions. 

Here's mine:

Send that thing to heaven. 

Time to upgrade.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That’s exactly what I’m thinking of! It’s 5 years old and I’m wondering if sending it to Canon would be worth it. I can still use it but no pop up flash , Camera thinks it has auxiliary flash on. I was thinking I could still use it on trips where I would not want to take a new camera. I wonder if the 80D is a good choice. 

If you were happy with the 60 the 80D is even better.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

" I’m wondering if sending it to Canon would be worth it."

Call first, 1 (800) 652-2666, the 60D may not be supported any longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shadowsports wrote:

Black Friday Deals are here.. 60D..  bigger screws, glue? All good suggestions. 

Here's mine:

Send that thing to heaven. 

Time to upgrade.   

Any event that did that much damage probably did other damage too. I say take Rick's advice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

arnauasitto
Contributor

@nancyr84 wrote:

Help! My new puppy and my Canon 60D had a bit of a run in and the hotshoe bracket came off the camera. I cannot see how it attaches. I tried holding it on and the flash does fire. I hate to send the camera away to get fixed it’s over 5 years old. I do use the external flash often . I thought about trying to carefully glue it on , is that a crazy idea? 56834659-18B6-4498-A03B-4FE3995B2D11.jpeg

iFixit has instructions to open up a 60D if your are so inclined.

Announcements