cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing my DSLR setup, any advice?

herio22
Apprentice

I used to do a lot of video and photography in my past job, and was more active as an amateur, these days I don't have the time to go out shooting as much as I used to, and the weight and bulk of a full DSLR honestly puts me off going out shooting or taking it out with me.

My current hoard

5Diii

1Diii

100-400 Sigma

70-200 F4L

24-105 F4L (older version)

100 F2.8L Macro

85mm F1.8

A fair collection, but I feel EF lenses must be a depreciating asset now mirrorless has really taken over. I'm seriously considering selling all and investing in a mirrorless platform, but I've been out of the loop for over 5 years now and don't really know what direction to go, stick with Canon? Fujifilm, Sony, Panasonic etc? I don't mind buying second hand or older models. My main priorities would be good AF and an affordable alternative to my 100-400 (I enjoy airshow photography) and macro lens.

Thanks for any advice in advance

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Do you want to upgrade your current gear. What is your budget if you want to upgrade your gear.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Much depends on what you are going to produce - it requires a more significant investment for large, detailed fine art prints.  However, if you are not needing to produce the latter, then I would suggest considering the Canon EOS R6MkII, and the RF 100-400 STM lens for much less weight and bang for buck.

For your consideration her are a couple of reviews from sources that I personally respect:

CameraLabs: EOS R6 for Photography Review This 24MP is a light, mirrorless camera, with a brilliant focusing and sensor system - my experience with the 20MP MkI version is that it offers 1EV improvement over the 45MP R5.  The camera's ability to use higher ISO values with no noise offsets the smaller aperture range of many of the RF lenses.
Considering the stated reason is to downsize your weight, this camera body is both more compact and lighter, and you can use your existing batteries with this unit.  I have the MkI version (20MP) and love this camera.  Its tracking is a game changer and the MkII is even better.

CameraLabs: RF 100-400 USM Review I suggest this unit for its light weight and good effective range - matching what you currently have. It's not an L-series lens, but it is very light and compact and is generally lauded for its performance.

I would recommend considering keeping the EF 70-200 f/4L.  It is still a great lens and very light and can be used with the EF-RF adapter.  One reason I prefer the EF versions over the RF version of the same focal range is that the EF unit does not extend, whereas the RF camera does. Despite the fact that the RF is weather sealed, it must still inhale as it extends and will likely push some dust towards the sensor (no longer protected by a mirror and usually closed shutter, as would be the case for a DSLR).  I have the MkII version of the EF f/4 lens and keep it for that reason.

I would not sell your 24-105 and 105 macro until you have tried them via the EF-RF adapter.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements