cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 60D Lock Focus On The First Frame In High Speed Drive Mode

Moire
Contributor

See if I can make this simple to understand. If the 60d is set to a1 servo (or any other af mode) and when using high speed drive (burst mode) will it lock focus on the first frame or does it continue to refocus as the frames are taken?

I think that's a simple question someone should have the answer for. I could not find the answer in the manual or on the Internet.

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...60d is set to a1 servo..."

It is A(eye)-servo not A(one)-servo. The name is derived from the term Artificial Intelligence, hence AI-Servo.

Using One shot it will attempt to focus each and every frame.  It may not be able to. Using AI-Servo it will not attempt at all. One-Shot is for when neither you, nor the subject, are moving. AI Servo is for when either you, or the subject, is moving. AI Focus is for when neither you, nor the subject care if your focus is accurate.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There is a caveat with AI Servo.

While it *will* attempt to adjust focus between frames, AI Servo uses "shutter release priority".  This is different than "One Shot" mode which uses "foucs priority".

In "Focus Priority" the camera will NOT take a shot until it is able to lock focus on your selected AF point (or if you let it uses all 9 points then it has to lock focus on at least one AF point).

In "Release Priroity", the camera WILL take a shot when the focus button is completely pressed... whether it had time to focus or not.  So it isn't like the camera is trying ... but if you mash the button down and keep it down, it will assume that it's really really urgent that it take the shot at that exact moment ... focus accuracy doesn't matter.

When shooting action, you half-press the shutter (or if using back-button focus then you press the back-button) so it's tracking your subject.  When you decide it's the "decisive moment" to take the shot, you can fully press the shutter release and it will start shooting.  But if you are in burst mode, it will keep shooting even if it can't keep up with focus changes.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Moire wrote:

I could not find the answer in the manual or on the Internet.

Actually, the answer is in the manual, but you have to read between the lines.  An easier way to find your answers is to simply pick up the camera, and start using it.  But, first and foremost, you cannot rule out any possibility of operator error.

Your litany of questions strongly suggests that you are fairly unfamiliar with the camera.  A camera is an instrument, and like any musical instrument, the best and only way to learn to use it is to practice with it ... .. a lot.  You cannot learn to play a piano by reading about it, or watching videos about it.  You learn by doing it, and by being your own worse critic.

I tell people who just bought a DSLR not to expect consistently sharp photos right off the bat.  In fact, I tell them that it takes most people at least 10,000 shots before they really begin to master using a DSLR.  They listen to me, and then they frown.  Some bite their lip, and give me a dirty look.  No one ever looks like a happy camper.

But, just about all of them thank many months later for inspiring them to stick with it, because they realized the truth in my words. They were discovering something everytime they went out and used their camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements