cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to keep the shutter open for the EOS 70D camera for time-lapse pictures?

Rtd_sf_eng
Apprentice

For Christmas I received an EOS 70D camera, my first digitial for this type.  I have an AE1 that I have used for over 15 years and I know how to keep the shutter open for the camera but the 70D instructions do not indicate if that can be done.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

Use Bulb (B) to keep the shutter open.  Push the shutter button once to open, a second time to close.  But I don't know how you would use that for time lapse, usually it's for long exposure night photography.

ScottyP
Authority
You may be saying you need an intervalometer. See this:

http://www.learntimelapse.com/time-lapse-intervalometers-how-to-choose-the-right-one/
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Ah, good point, that's probably exactly what they mean.

It's a nice summary of some of the options out there.   The covered the main ones, but left out a simple (and free) method - using the Canon EOS Utility software.  It requires being tethered though.

There's also a couple more techy solutions, for those inclined:

You can also use Wifi, but the Canon app doesn't support timelapse (at least it didn't use to).  But DSLR Controller Beta can do it.  I'd guess that you could use the EOS Utility program from a laptop via WiFi to do it?  Haven't tried it, so I'm not sure.

Finally, if you have a smartphone that has an IR blaster you can use that (line of sight) to trigger the shutter.  There's a free app (DSLR Remote) that can do timelapse.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The Canon wired remote is the RS-60E3.  This would be the equivalent of the mechanical plunger you might have used with your AE-1 (or bulb... I actually had both a cable-plunger and an sqeeeze-bulb plunger for my AE-1).

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/product-accessories/eos-digital-slr-camera-accessories/eos...

This plugs into the side of the camera and has a single shutter button it (it's sensitive to both half-press and full press), but the shutter button has a lock-switch (you press the shutter button and slide up to lock).  That way you don't have to stand there holding it until the shot completes.

HOWEVER... the even better way is to use an "intervalometer".  This is a remote shutter release (like the Canon RS-60E3) except you can "program" the run.

You get to enter:

1)  The number of exposures to take

2)  The duration of each exposure

3)  The time to wait between each exposure.

4)  There's also a count-down timer

I think each timer can be set for up to 59 minutes and 59 seconds (basically an hour).

Canon's version of this is the TC-80N3 but is only made for the higher end bodies ... the 1D series, 5D series, 6D, and 7D series.  It also worked with some older bodies such as the 50D... but oddly not the 60D or 70D.  The 60D and 70D use the same "stereo" type pin-connector as the Rebel bodies (the higher end bodies use a different type of connector.)

Canon does make a "part" (not sold as an accessory) called the "Remote Control Adapter RA-E3".  This is a very short cable that has the matching end for the TC-80N3 on one end of the cable, but the "stereo" type plug for the 60Da (which is identical to the 70D) on the other end.  But I say it's a "part" because Canon doesn't actually sell this thing on any store as an accessory.  It can only be ordered as a replacement part (you'd have to call their parts department, tell them you have a 60Da, and then ask to buy a replacement RA-E3 adapter cable.)

Third parties do make intervalometers.  But I noticed that under the brand name "Aputure", you can buy a "Timer Camera Remote Shutter Control" (that's an intervalometer) and it looks absolutely identical to the Canon model except it already has the correct pin connector for a 70D.  Amazon sells it.  There are LOTS of 3rd parties that make these.  The circuit is fairly simple... it's just a 3 pin connector... there's a common ground and two other wires... one of which indicates when you "half press" the shutter, the other indicates when you "fully press" the shutter.   So it's fairly simply to create an electronic timer that controls when those actions happen.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements