cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you think 5D IV (V?) will still be manufactured beyond 2021?

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Hard to believe the 5D IV reaches its 5th year birthday this coming fall.

I purchased mine in fall 2017.  And my plan was to upgrade say after 5 to 7 years (so 2022 to 2024).  

It looks like the R5 is the sucessor to the 5D line, but definitely not looking forward to the hit to the budget.  Since I'd also want to move to RF lenses too.

Thus, I'm wondering that come say around 2024 or slightly before, would the 5D IV be still available (new units only) to carry me another 5 years or so while I save up more.   Perhaps even a mark V would be made? No idea.

Note: I don't shoot professionally, so my gear purchases are very flexible.   Just looking to reduce budget a bit over the long haul.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think Canon has designed and released their final DSLRs.  They have punched all of the major buttons with new cameras in within the last two years: Entry Level, Mid-Range, Professional grade.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Canon seems to have shut down production of the 5Ds and 5Dsr, entirely.  My guess is that the only available 5D4s just might be current available stock.  Demand for the R5 and R6 is through the roof, from what I understand.  

I would guess an R1 professional body would push production limits even further. If they release a mirrorless APS-C body with an RF mount, built like 7 Series....forget about seeing any more DSLRs, except available stock, if they release an entry level version with an APS-C sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, Waddizzle; that makes sense.   Will just start saving up for the R5.

--
Ricky

Ricky,

Another question is whether you need specific capabilities that a new body can provide because everything will be constantly changing.  If your 5DIV is meeting your needs, the only typical wear item is the shutter.  You may decide that it is better to wait until the R5 Mk II or III before you pay a lot for a new body.

At some point I will upgrade but it will be when the new models offer something that I need and that they do better than what I own.  I will look at the R1 when it comes out but I have yet to meet an EVF I want to use for sports shooting and the AF is going to have to be as good as what the 1DX II and III can do with with their high performance dedicated AF array.

When I switch to a newer platform, it will also be the time to look at the other contenders.  The Canon 1 series has done everything I have needed over 15 years of usage and because of the EF glass I have coupled with the excellent sports performance of the 1 series I haven't looked beyond Canon.  That will change when it is time to change mounts and especially if the R1 is no better than what Sony has as its top sports shooter.  At some point, Canon will force me into a mirrorless platform but it may not be a Canon mirrorless platform.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks, Roger.

I don't need anything right now beyond what the 5D IV gives me.   Actually, I'm more excited about the RF lenses than the bodies themselves.  e.g. the new RF 50mm f/1.2 would give me a decent amount of improved quality over the EF version.

I do like the idea of waiting for an R5 II.   The current 5D would still be far within the shutter mean-time-before-failure range even five years from now.

--
Ricky

Ricky,

You are welcome and I expect there will be significant improvements with the second gen of the R5.  A new model tends to be somewhat revolutionary and the second generation of that model tends to be the biggest evolutionary step within that model line so odds are you will get the biggest bang for your buck with the second gen.

My main sports bodies are a 1DX II and a 1DX III and they will serve my needs for several more years.  My 1DX is now in backup/standby duty and as such it travels to every event with me.  It does most tasks as well as its newer siblings and is competent at everything I need it to do.  I will probably shoot one or more soccer games this year with the 1DX sitting on a tripod at one end of the field with an EF 800 just to get shots of the keeper at the far end when I am at the other end photographing shots on goal with 400 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 on the other bodies.  The AF system isn't as advanced as the II and III but it is still incredibly good at following action and a jpg derived from a 1DX RAW file captured in good light is distinguishable from its later siblings only through EXIF data.  It did the job wonderfully when it came out and it still has all of the capability it ever had (unlike its owner 🙂 )

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

The last EF lens and EF mount camera has been made. If not physically certainly corporately (on paper).

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements