cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do mirrorless cameras have Live View?

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I'm not asking whether they behave that way. I'm asking if they have a dial or switch or menu setting to put them in Live View.

The reason I ask is that someone was complaining that his camera (a mirrorless) didn't magnify when in Manual focus. I tested mine (a DSLR T8i) out, and discovered that the magnify function on mine only works when I'm in Live View. It doesn't work through the viewfinder.

I think that in mirrorless, the LCD is disabled, or temporarily turned off when you put the viewfinder up to your eye, and I wondered if that was this other person's problem.

Steve Thomas

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would argue that LV is the only mode they have. 

You can close the rear LCD and see menus and shot previews in the EVF. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yep, I'd agree with that!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Steve

The relationship between display in the EVF and LCD can be configured in MILCs vis the menu.

It is the more conventional to let the system turn off the LCD when looking through the EVF (and vice versa) because one can really only use one at a time and it would just be a waste of battery capacity.

I have just put my R6 on MF via the lens button and confirmed the camera was not autofocusing.  When I went to focus manually either via the EVF or LCD, all I had to do was press the magnifying glass button and the camera magnified the image and I could tweak my focus using the lens focusing dial.

There are also features such a focus highlihgting that colour the edges of elements in focus to assist that.

So, no idea why this would be an issue for them. Or am I misunderstanding the issue?

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

While not really the OP's original question, I noticed you bringing up using the magnify function.

"When I went to focus manually either via the EVF or LCD, all I had to do was press the magnifying glass button and the camera magnified the image and I could tweak my focus using the lens focusing dial."

I recently have an R50, plus Sony and Olympus mirrorless  and been using the latter camera systems for over a decade with wide varieties of manual and AF lenses in the manual focus magnify mode.

Doing exactly what you have described, this simply does not work on my R50. Note that that is using EOS EF lenses on the R50. All other functions (AF, focus merge, IS, exposure, etc) are fully functioning with the adapter with every EOS type lens I have used on this R body, both Canon, and third party.

But the focus magnifier doesn't work at all. Ironically, many EOS EF lenses perform on the Sony and Olympus bodies, and any lens I have ever put on any of those mirrorless camera bodies, manual with any adapter, or native AF and even EOS with AF adapters, has been able to be used with the manual focus on and the magnifier. 

Is there something about the Canon R bodies that does not do this with EOS EF lenses? Have you used EOS EF lenses on your R? Or can you try it and tell me your experience?

Thanks,

JH

I was responding to a different set of circumstances, but was curious if this was related to your thread,  which I read but did not respond to as I don't have an R50 to experiment on, so it would be invalid of me to make a statement.

All I can say is that it works on the bodies that I used, but they are Full-frame and higher-spec'd units.  Make what of that what you will.

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Is this related to the issue previously posted that an R50 with EF adapted lenses cannot be set to MF?

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements