cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Canon R Series Bodies Have “Image Prirotiy”?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have found being able to set "Release Priority" very useful with lenses that do not focus very quickly and/or with subjects that are difficult to auto focus on while tracking.  I would rather 6-8 focused frames/sec than 10-12 unfocused frames/sec.

05C680EE-25BC-4245-9394-C60E53D4EAFC.jpeg

So, why does it seem like Canon removed this setting from EOS R bodies?  This is from the R5.  You can set it release priority for One Shot AF mode, just like you can in the high end DSLRs.  Unlike the high end DSLRs, there is no menu selection to set 1st or 2nd Image Priority when shooting in AI Servo AF mode.

0366F1E5-FA45-46EC-822F-4AF5FD00A1A9.jpeg

Does R5 automatically set Release Priority to focus or speed?  What good is up to 20 frames/sec if they are not focused?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
3 REPLIES 3

DigitalByDesign
Contributor
You will never have 20 fps no matter what you do as that frame rate is under theoretically perfect conditions, not real world use. That's the honest answer I've found from honest reviewers.
Still have - AT-1, AE-1 Program, Rebel II; Kalimar K-90/1000 Pentax clone
Rebel T7 gifted to me - A reminder to *always* examine a new camera in person, not trust reviews and reviewers (Deleting the center hotshoe contact? Really?)
Fotodiox lens adaptors for Canon FD and Pentax K to EOS EF mounts.
Former film fanatic, digital by design now as I rekindle my love of photography

@DigitalByDesign wrote:
You will never have 20 fps no matter what you do as that frame rate is under theoretically perfect conditions, not real world use. That's the honest answer I've found from honest reviewers.

I understand that, Sherlock.  The question is how do you compensate for it?   Canon has seemingly removed the setting to compensate for it.  What say you?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, that does seem like an oversight and hopefully they will update it in firmware. Maybe once Canon's mirrorless line matures they will hit their stride again.  I have used focus priority going back to my 2004 era 1D Mark II body.

I bias the settings in my 1DX and 5DS bodies to focus, not release, because I have no use for poorly focused images.  The only time I might change the setting would be if I were capturing images to help an athlete with skills training where release speed would be most important but for that I use a camcorder which is better suited than a stills camera.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements