cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying additional info in viewfinder when adjusting ISO

Molybdo42
Enthusiast

Hi,

Unless this feature already exists, I would really like to have it included in an eventual firmware update for my 70D.

It's when pressing the ISO button, I want to be able to see in the viewfinder the changing value of:
- exposure compensation scale In M mode
- shutter speed in AV mode
- aperture in TV mode
- aperture and shutter speed in P mode

That's because I find myself often going back and forth between the shooting mode I'm in (often manual) and the ISO adjust just to be able to see if I'm correctly exposed or if my other parameters will give me the picture I want.

I need this feature because in some situations (mostly M mode), I don't have enough light, I really need a minimum shutter speed and I'm already at the maximum aperture. So in order to get decent exposure, I'm only left with adjusting the ISO. It's OK when the exposure compensation cursor is within +-2 EV range, because I just have to count how many click's I need to rotate the wheel when adjusting the ISO. But when the exposure value is outside range, I need to go back and forth a minimum of two times to get good ISO. That's because I first rotate the wheel 9 clicks to get the cursor within range (sometimes more is needed), and then fine tune the ISO a second time.

Also I don't really like the auto ISO feature as I tend to limit it to a maximum of 1600, I read somewhere that it's often the limit beyond which higher ISO loose dynamic range and (if I understood well) post processing at 1600 ISO gives better results than snapping a picture at higher ISO. Yet I sometimes want to be able to decide when it's OK to go towards higher in ISO range, for example in cases where a simple JPEG with no post processing will be enough.

Any thoughts ?

1 REPLY 1

Skirball
Authority

A couple thoughts:

1) First and foremost, this is just a user forum, don't expect Canon to respond here.

2) As much as I wish it wasn't so, Canon rarely adds features to cameras through firmware, with the exception of the 1Dx.  Mostly firmware fixes things that are wrong, not expands features.

3) I believe not even the 5d3 got exposure compensation for Manual with auto-ISO, only the 1Dx.  There's a whole line of cameras that would be well served with this feature, none of which have received squat.

4) Try Magic Lantern, I believe they added this feature, but not sure the status for the 70D.

5) If you're bumping up against the limit of auto ISO I'd recommend just stepping out of it, and bumping up the ISO to where you want it.  Chances are you're not going to be going more than a stop or two above 1600.  That said, if your shutter speed and Aperture is set and you need a higher ISO for exposure, then why not let auto ISO choose it for you (lack of exposure compensation aside).  You're much better off going up in ISO than trying to push it in post.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements