cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with Canon and CPS

in4m8n
Enthusiast

CPS member.

<rant> Bought a new 1D X when it was the flagship of the line. Less than 9,000 clicks and looks like new still. I care for my gear. I have over $8,000 in camera, batteries, memory, L-bracket - not including lenses, of course.

Recently it has become intermittent and there are days it will not turn on. And days there is no issue. Changed batteries, time battery, memory cards. all the usual. No remedy. Can never tell when it might become stubborn and not turn on again.

Canon will no longer repair it. Abandoned. After a huge investment in Canon for years and a CPS member for years. I can still get '65 Mustang parts, and no one uses that professionally. But not the flagship Canon Professional Camera from not THAT long ago.

They will do an upgrade with a discount but not to an R3. Same with my original 70-200 2.8 L IS which is no longer supported. Upgrade, but not to a new RF 70-200 2.8. Gee, thanks. Maybe Ishould replace the 1D X with a Powershot?

There may be repair places I have no experience with who might be able to repair the DC board IF it is the DC board. Its possible, but not for sure.

So I feel my loyalty counts for little. I have other recent cases of poor communication with CPS.  I am at the point I cannot recommend it. And may not be able to recommend Canon any longer.

If I were not retired, on fixed income and only shoot very small jobs, I might switch brands now knowing what I do.

I shall try calling B&H to see if they can steer me to repair. Perhaps Hunts since I moved to Massachusetts, but have no experience with them.

Am I wrong feeling I should get better support? Any ideas for East Coast based quality repair for ! Series? Thoughts appreciated.  </rant>

9 REPLIES 9

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

Even Apple only supports devices for repair for only up to 7 years.  12 years is bit unrealistic to expect electronics manufacturers to be able to repair devices.  Technology advances so quickly that it often makes more sense to upgrade to newer device rather than to fix an old one.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

The 1D X was sold until early 2016. So not 12 years since last sold. And it is a professional tool at a high price. Not quite Apples and Canons, but there is a point. BUT, so many third parties are willing and capable to repair older Apple devices.

And as many have posted on forums around the net, the fact a new camera with new features comes out, it does not mean that your current camera stops taking great pictures. The sensor on the 1D X is exceptional for low light concert photography. No 5D series comes close, for example. And 6D's which did have immature Auto Focus. So it is a great choice for my needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard Midwest Camera Repair repairs some older cameras. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks. I shall check them next.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ Canon will no longer repair it. Abandoned. After a huge investment in Canon for years and a CPS member for years. I can still get '65 Mustang parts, and no one uses that professionally. But not the flagship Canon Professional Camera from not THAT long ago.

Under US law, consumer electronics manufacturers are required to support products for a minimum of 7 years after the product is no longer available for sale.  Some companies may continue support for products beyond what is required by law.  Sometimes it becomes impossible to continue support because of the lack of available replacement parts.

To compare availability of mechanical components to electronic components is comparing apples to oranges, IMHO.  For example, I have an audio amplifier from the mid-1960s, which I cannot get repaired.  Why?  Because it uses vacuum tubes, and no manufacturer in the world is producing the type of replacement vacuum tubes that I need.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You might be surprised. I built recording studios for 25 years and have found niche repair persons who have repaired my 40 year old SAE and Perreaux gear. Takes some poking around.

Granted, high frequency diaphragms for Tannoy are hens teeth, but. And once again, I cond=sider the 1D X a professional tool at a high int=vestment price. I'll guarantee I can get your 40 year old MCI or Neve console repaired 🙂 Power amps more easily replaceable...

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@in4m8n wrote:

CPS member.

<rant> Bought a new 1D X when it was the flagship of the line. Less than 9,000 clicks and looks like new still. I care for my gear. I have over $8,000 in camera, batteries, memory, L-bracket - not including lenses, of course.

Recently it has become intermittent and there are days it will not turn on. And days there is no issue. Changed batteries, time battery, memory cards. all the usual. No remedy. Can never tell when it might become stubborn and not turn on again.

Canon will no longer repair it. Abandoned. After a huge investment in Canon for years and a CPS member for years. I can still get '65 Mustang parts, and no one uses that professionally. But not the flagship Canon Professional Camera from not THAT long ago.

They will do an upgrade with a discount but not to an R3. Same with my original 70-200 2.8 L IS which is no longer supported. Upgrade, but not to a new RF 70-200 2.8. Gee, thanks. Maybe Ishould replace the 1D X with a Powershot?

There may be repair places I have no experience with who might be able to repair the DC board IF it is the DC board. Its possible, but not for sure.

So I feel my loyalty counts for little. I have other recent cases of poor communication with CPS.  I am at the point I cannot recommend it. And may not be able to recommend Canon any longer.

If I were not retired, on fixed income and only shoot very small jobs, I might switch brands now knowing what I do.

I shall try calling B&H to see if they can steer me to repair. Perhaps Hunts since I moved to Massachusetts, but have no experience with them.

Am I wrong feeling I should get better support? Any ideas for East Coast based quality repair for ! Series? Thoughts appreciated.  </rant>

If you are in Massachusetts contact Hunt Photo. If they don't do the repairs they are very likely going to have a recommended repair facility.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks. I did. They mentioned two and I have email outto both. One in Providence and pone in New Jersey.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Let me point out a couple issues. "I can still get '65 Mustang parts, ..."  But those parts are not from Ford. Secondly the 1 Series camera line is designed for professionals. The market and business stagedity of a person that makes a living with his camera is quite different than an amature that just wants a pro level camera. CPS stands for Canon Professional Services. It is designed for pros that make a lining with Canon cameras.  The goals of a pro and an ameture or even an advanced enthusits is very different. Their biggest thing is quick turn around not that your camera will be repaired forever. Plus top of the line technicians.

I feel your pain, because I am also retired and I want my gear to last me out if possible. Yes, all my 1 Series cameras were expensive and I hate it I can't get CPS to service on them. Everything has to come to an end. I used CPS for a long time and had nothing but great service form them.  They used to ask for your business name or a business card or letterhead, do the not do that anymore? Because it is for professionals in business.

Shops like Midwest Camera Repair rely on broken cameras for parts. If they can't get or don't have the same model in house they are unlikely to be able to repair it either. The 1DX is so popular that I would bet they can service it for you. In any event they should be able to clean and lube it. I had my old F1n serviced a couple years ago, no problem. Still shooting with that oldie. Sadly that repair man has now passed away.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements