cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Rebel XT

jbcohen
Contributor

I see how to download the latest firmware however the site does not tell me how to update the firmware on the camera.  How do I do that?

4 REPLIES 4

cale_kat
Mentor

In my honest opinion, if you are really and truely unable to determine how to do this, I think you shouldn't try it yourself. Just an observation...

@cale_kat wrote:

In my honest opinion, if you are really and truely unable to determine how to do this, I think you shouldn't try it yourself. Just an observation...

Actually, Cale, he's right. I looked, and the page for the XT either doesn't contain the document that explains the process or has hidden it exceptionally well.

OP, go look up the support page for any of Canon's current cameras. It should tell you what to do, and the procedure hasn't really changed. Just be sure to use a card reader, rather than connecting the camera to your computer and downloading the update directly. The latter process is quite error-prone. I screwed it up once on my wife's XTi and had to send the camera to Jamesburg to be brought back to life.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cale_kat
Mentor
Robert, the last sentence in your post contains the reason for my warning. I didn't say he wasn't "right".

@cale_kat wrote:
Robert, the last sentence in your post contains the reason for my warning. I didn't say he wasn't "right".

Don't ask the OP to read more into my post than it actually says. Its purpose wasn't to endorse, or disagree with, your warning. It was simply to tell the OP where to look for the update instructions and to advise him that there are two methods of doing the update, one of which is almost certainly safe for a newbie and one of which probably isn't.

To reiterate:

Canon describes two methods of updating camera formware. One uses, IIRC, the EOS Utility to download the update to the camera, after which you have to follow a multi-step procedure to actually perform the update. I did that a couple of times, successfully, on my XTi. But once when I tried to update my wife's XTi, I did one of the steps out of order, which screwed up the existing firmware before the update was finalized, rendering the camera unbootable. I had to send it to the Canon shop to get it fixed (which they did under warranty, to their credit).

The other update method uses a card reader to place the update file on a CF card, which the camera can then be told to read to perform the update. This method involves no irreversible intermediate steps and is perfectly safe. If you position the update file incorrectly on the card (pretty much the only error you can make), the update is simply not performed.

Actually, there is one other mistake you can make: you can monkey with the camera (including turning it off) while the update is in progress. But they prompt you not to do that, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements