cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between old and new R5 for wildlife and using an adapter

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

My questions are these, how much more and why would the R5 Mark ii work better for wildlife photography than the original version?

Second question, I can manage to get the R5 Mark ii but would not be able to afford an RF lens for now,  I am looking to get the Canon 2972C002 lens adapter so I can use the EF lenses I have (Mainly the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens will be used for wildlife and moons shots) Are there any problems I need to know of when using this adapter? I already use one to use my EF lenses on my Canon M50 that is an EF-M mount but everything is different so I thought I should ask.

Looking forward to the difference in image quality,

26 REPLIES 26

Thank you very much for all the help.

Always welcome! 😊

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Marc, that's great. 🙂

I had a look and have found a link to the 5DII Advanced User Guide, which looks like we got it overnight here. At the moment I can see it only as an HTML and not a PDF. Nevertheless, I shall study it with interest.

I hope you learn what you need to make your decision.

I do know the price here - it's $7,300!🙄

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I had the opportunity to use both the R1 and the R5 this past Saturday for an extended time at a local retailer. He also had the 200-800mm that I tried to talk him out of but failed.

After some time with the R5 MII in hand I believe overall it may be a decent upgrade but I'm not sure I can justify the upgrade from my current R5, it provides me with everything I need at the moment. The larger question for me, does it offer enough value to cost almost $1200 more then the current R5?

After my experience with the pre-order on the 200-800mm and enjoying the R5 I'm going to follow the wisdom of a smart gentlemen I know....

a) I am still deciding if the technical innovations that are on offer are seriously going to improve my performance in the types of photography I do, and thus have value to me.
b) I never pre-order anything, and that has shown to be a wise move, given the challenges and frustrations of those who have waited a long time for their pre-ordered RF lenses (I might add this is also true for Fuji and Nikon, but on-one seems to make such a fuss about that, likely because Canon is the bigger player).
c) I prefer to let the dust settle and so will the prices

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Ha! 😁

Yep, since I own an R5, 2xR6 and 1xR6II, I can hardly justify that kind of investment.  I don't do event photography, like weddings, so I don't need (although LIKE) the ability to select specific subjects as priorities for focus and tracking.  Likely, a lot of these features will, in their own good time, trickle down to the R6 series, and by then I might be interested.
I have to replace a pair of hearing aids and they will cost me $6k.  Life gets in the way of photography: it's tragic...  😕

cheers, TREVOR

Just to confirm, Marc - no disrespect was ever intended towards you.  My previous post was in the context of your interchange with Moderator Stephen, particularly his comment "While they may be searchable by Google, they are not listed on the Canon USA site or the cam.start.canon site. You have to have a direct link, which makes them unofficial. "  And you response about it having been posted and thus official.  In which case I was simply stating what I understand is normal Release Management practise for documentation - I made no judgement against your efforts. 😬
I am hoping a PDF version comes out very soon (by the time I finishing typing this, just to confound me, it probably will) as I like to keep a copy on my devices for easy reference.

cheers, TREVOR

Absolutely none taken Trevor, people can disagree, have a different perspective or position on a given topic without malice for another person. While I respect Stephen I disagree with his position on this topic, there have been other topics where he and I align perfectly. He always steps forward to assist people with unique challenges when it comes to repairs. He brings a lot of value to the Canon consumer.

The art of meaningful conversation has to some regard been lost. It is not an all or nothing proposition! You can disagree on perspective/position in a conversation as long as it remains ethical/moral and continue to respect that person while maintaining them as a friend. The banter, well it's a little like playing chess.  😉

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

Announcements