cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date and Time reset after every switch OFF/ON-M6 mark ii

Femina
Contributor

Hello,

I am using Canon M6 Mark ii for last one and half years. Recently, every time I switch on the camera, its going to date n time set mode, even when I am not removing the battery and battery is fully charged.

Is there any solution for this issue? Or what should i do to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Femina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear you’re having an issue after such a short time.  The main battery charges up an internal circuit that keeps track of time.  

Let’s do a couple things to see if we can rule out the main battery.  First, switch the camera to P shooting mode.  Go into the menus, find the option to “restore factory defaults”, and reset the camera.  

If restoring factory defaults does not resolve the issue, we need to take a look at the battery.  Is it a Canon branded battery and charger?  Do you have a spare battery?  

If the issue persists, and you do not have a spare battery, then I recommend two courses of action.  You could order a spare battery, which I suspect will not “fix” the problem, but is good to have one on hand, anyway.

Or, you need to contact Canon Support to arrange a repair of your camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear you’re having an issue after such a short time.  The main battery charges up an internal circuit that keeps track of time.  

Let’s do a couple things to see if we can rule out the main battery.  First, switch the camera to P shooting mode.  Go into the menus, find the option to “restore factory defaults”, and reset the camera.  

If restoring factory defaults does not resolve the issue, we need to take a look at the battery.  Is it a Canon branded battery and charger?  Do you have a spare battery?  

If the issue persists, and you do not have a spare battery, then I recommend two courses of action.  You could order a spare battery, which I suspect will not “fix” the problem, but is good to have one on hand, anyway.

Or, you need to contact Canon Support to arrange a repair of your camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you very much.

Restoring the defaults solved the problem.

I have spare batteries which are not canon brand. will they cause such issues?

Thank you once again.

Canon, and most folks here, recommend using Canon brand batteries.  That said, I have used several different types of 3rd party batteries that have performed as well, if not better than, the Canon brand ones for a lot less investment. It's all about risk.  Some brands, or even batches from one brand, may be good and the next are pretty awful.  I have some original Canon ones that have been rubbish.  If you do go for non-OEM brand batteries, research very carefully as to their performance. All batteries degrade over time, so after a few years you can expect lower performance.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

About two years ago, I had the same thing happen to me.   It's a fairly major repair, but I have a few EF-M lenses and I like the camera a lot, so I paid for it.   The tech at Hunt's camera tried all of the easier fixes.  Actually, I did too.  I knew EOS-M machines were not going to be around much longer, so it seems like a good idea at the time.   The fix was actually to replace the camera with a Canon-refurbished one.  In any case, the problem you had has /never/ happened to me on any other Canon camera or on my SONY.   I realize a sample of 2 isn't very large, but 2 compared to 0 feels meaningful to me, and I wonder if there is some underlying engineering problem.   but we'll never know, will we?

PhilAngus
Apprentice

I have the same issue. I have had my M6 Mkii about 3 years and hardly used it, I only use it as my second camera for holidays. It still looks brand new. It recently started resetting every time which is a real pain.

OK, I know what the cause is now. It is third party batteries. I also have RAVPower batteries. I don't get this issue with the Canon battery. I believe the Canon charges the internal battery circuit, but the RAVPower does not. If I leave the Canon in the camera, the issue is not there. If I leave the Canon in for a few days, then use the RAVPower it is fine, but if I leave the RAVPower in, after a while the internal battery goes flat, and the issue returns. Bottom line is, you can use third party batteries, but if you only use them for long periods of time (for example cycling between two of them for a few weeks), eventually the internal circuit will run flat and the issue will return. Installing a charged Canon battery will soon return the internal battery to a fully charged state

Does your M6 have a menu setting that allows you to register the batteries to the camera? I don't know that it would make any difference but you might try registering your third party batteries to the M6. I was able to register a couple Wasabi batteries to my 60D, but I wasn't having the reset problems you're having.

At the very least I would have to suggest not buying batteries based on low price alone. If you find a battery with a recognizable name that seems to have good reviews that maybe saves you 20% to 25%, then stop your search there. Fight the urge to seek out a deal that might save you 40% or 50%. You're starting to venture into the murky waters of diminishing value.

As for my experiences, I realize that my 60D is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth. Newer model cameras may be fussier about using non-OEM batteries.

Announcements