cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR + lens for the beginning

bersjia
Apprentice

Hi guys, 

I like photography and feel I am ready for my first DSLR (I used only Point-an-shoot cameras before). Read a lot of reviews and discussions but things are still not clear for me which camera and lens to get. My budget is around $1500. I am planning to take portraits (and some weddings perhaps) and some landscape pics (just for pleasure from time to time). Also if possible I'd like to grow with my camera so it should not necessary be a camera for noob, I am willing to learn.

So, I found 2 lenses - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens and Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens (Both are prime, must provide a nice pic in a bad light, fast and sharp). The price for Sigma is 2 times higher then Canon. Does the difference really cost these money? Since there is a rule "better buy more expensive lens then camera" I don't mind to spend more on Sigma, but should I? Also is it better to get 50mm or 35mm considering I am going to use with crop sensor camera?

I can't afford full-frame camera right now, so depends on which lens I'm going to get there is some options with camera: Canon 70D, 7d or T3i.

I would be happy to hear some advice and thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The T5i and Siggy 35mm f1.4 will be a great outfit. The T5i will work with either EF or EF-S.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

The T5i and Siggy 35mm f1.4 will be a great outfit. The T5i will work with either EF or EF-S.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements