Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR Recommendations for 3D Modeling

rnurse
Contributor

Hi,

I am looking for a entry to mid level DSLR

I would like you to tell me which DSLR camera is right for my use. The camera,
lighting and microscopy equipment should offer flexible imaging and 3D modeling capabilities
for objects from ~1 cm to 4cm in size. Additional lenses should be included.

The instrument should perform a variety of functions including 1) high resolution, macro/micro
imaging, 2) 3D scanning and modeling and 3) 1080P/high speed (60fps) video in both lab and
field based settings.

Please let me know which model is right for this purpose.

27 REPLIES 27

Thanks Ricky,

I was speaking with an agent at B&H and he was very helpful. I also had a look at some forum reviews of the best cameras and lenses for macrgraphy. In the end I have selected the following set:

CANON EOS R6 II FOR MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY

RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM

And as a confirmation I see that these products have been mentioned by you above.

Thanks for all of your help

However, the RF 70-200 f/2.8L is not a macro lens.  So if the primary use case will be macro work, you'd need at least the RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro.

The requirements you called out listed numerous lenses (to include a more capable macro, the EF 65mm f/2.8 1 to 5x Macro).

So you'd need to check with the lab in terms of if only purchasing a single lens, which type of lens (macro, non-macro) would be the most beneficial.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you for pointing that out Ricky. I cannot contact the lab at the moment, I tried but to no reply. Based on the specification I listed for you, please let me know the best lens or combination of lenses that will suit the lab's application.

You mentioned the RF 100mm f/2.8L macro, however, the specification listed a 200mm range. Isisn't 100mm insufficient?

Very confused now as what information you need.  You had provided a list of lenses that would be needed, so provided a list.

Does the lab need all the lenses, or are they only needing to start with a single lens?

In terms of a Macro lens, Canon doesn't have one with a 200mm focal length.  Canon did make a 180mm f/3.5L Macro, though you'd need to purchase that one used/refurbished at this point.

Finally, I strongly recommend someone from the lab directly ask questions here to clear up what exactly they need.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

The lab doesn't need all lenses, only 1. Here are the requirements below. Please disregard the lab based photogrammetry system:

We need a lab and field based photomacrography and photogrammetry system. The camera,
ligh�ng and microscopy equipment should offer flexible imaging and 3D modeling capabili�es
for insect specimens from ~1 cm to 4cm in size. Addi�onal lenses should be included that allow
users to image larger specimens and document field loca�ons. We need one system for the lab
and one system for the field.
The instrument should perform a variety of func�ons including 1) high resolu�on, macro/micro
imaging, 2) 3D scanning and modeling and 3) 1080P/high speed (60fps) video in both lab and
field based se�ngs.
Also being fully portable and automated device that is capable of capturing detailed, high
resolu�on images for samples ranging from 1 micron to infinity (a).
The specifica�ons should include all necessary hardware/so�ware (with updates), Cannon R
camera body, Dual Flash, LWD Mitutoyo microscope objec�ves (100×, 50x, 20x, 10x), 1-5x
65mm stereoscopic lens, 70-200mm telephoto, 100mm macro and 24-105mm.
The 1-5x stereoscopic lens is best used for pinned insects, rocks, fossils, minerals, metals, plants
and slides that are smaller, but not limited to, 4 cm in size (Fig 1)

What camera would you recommend for to go with the EF 100mm? It's for use by the Agricultural Research Service of the USDA. They will need something professional.

Is the EOS R8 compatible with the RF100mm F2.8L?

I believe 200mm would be the requirement. Can you recommend a lens for 200mm?

click here to view the gallery
Announcements