Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR Recommendations for 3D Modeling

rnurse
Contributor

Hi,

I am looking for a entry to mid level DSLR

I would like you to tell me which DSLR camera is right for my use. The camera,
lighting and microscopy equipment should offer flexible imaging and 3D modeling capabilities
for objects from ~1 cm to 4cm in size. Additional lenses should be included.

The instrument should perform a variety of functions including 1) high resolution, macro/micro
imaging, 2) 3D scanning and modeling and 3) 1080P/high speed (60fps) video in both lab and
field based settings.

Please let me know which model is right for this purpose.

27 REPLIES 27

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Before we get started.

What is your budget? $$$

Then we'll tell you what your options might be. 

Most body's are sold alone.  Some include one lens.  Rarely 2, and if they are, they might not be what you need for specialty photography.  Just want to set some expectations.  

Have you considered mirrorless?  It might be more affordable than you think?

Thus far it sounds like you want to do some macro photography and video 1080p @60fps.

What we recommend will come down to your budget. 📸

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It's for use in a laboratory. I am not aware of the budget, I just have to recommend a suitable camera that is right for these requirements. Not too expensive, but not cheap. What are your recommendations? What would you buy for this purpose?

Try to contact someone in the lab for what the budget will be. Even if approximate. Also, still need more details on the 3D requirements. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What do you mean by 3D scanning and modeling?  Do you mean being able to have photos taken by the camera to import to 3D applications such as Moves by Maxon?

--
Ricky

I am representing an organization that would like to use it for 3D insect modeling. Here are the specification:

1) high resolution, macro/micro
imaging, 2) 3D scanning and modeling and 3) 1080P/high speed (60fps) video in both lab and
field-based settings.
Also being fully portable and automated device that is capable of capturing detailed, high
resolution images for samples ranging from 1 micron to infinity (a).

Yes, that's what you initally posted.  But we still don't know what is meant by 3D scanning and modeling.  A DSLR (or mirrorless) camera would only be able to capture 2D images.   You'd need special software capable of taking images captured at multiple angles in order to create a 3D model.

The lab must have some type of software already in use.  Best to find out what the recommended specifications for images would be.  e.g. perhaps the software needs very high resolution images.

--
Ricky

Thanks for the reply. I am not an expert on this topic. The requisition is for a lab and field based photomacrography and photogrammetry system.

As you have stated, it is the software that processes the 2d images into a 3d image. Can you recommend a product solution for the field-based Photogammetry application? Does Cannon provide a photogrammetry system?

"I am not an expert on this topic. The requisition is for a lab and field based photomacrography and photogrammetry system."

Unless you are lucky and a real expert chimes in, we are not experts, either. This is a highly specialized field. Whoever is in charge of actually using this needs to make the decision. 

rnurse
Contributor

Hello,

I am looking for a good camera and relevant attachments for photomacrography , for scanning small objects. It should capture high resolution images for samples ranging from 1 micron to infinity.

Can you recommend a good product?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements