Legend
Legend

Maybe you will like these better.  I try to please! Smiley Happy

_D4_9792.jpg

_D4_9797.jpg

_D4_9806.jpg

_D4_9809.jpg

_D4_9812.jpg

All with my best of class, 1.3 body the EOS 1D Mk IV.  Birders favorite camera!  I love this camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
150 REPLIES 150

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You are shooting RAW?   Sure am

Why are you setting anything?  Thought I would give it a try.  I experiment with settings, I'm learning.  That's how I sometimes learn, from making mistakes     Peripheral illumination correction or any, well most, of the other settings that the camera can apply are not recoreded.  These are added by you in post.  When you set stuff like that, the camera makes a small data file, sometimes called a 'sidecar' to tell the editor, "Hey this is what I think he wanted."  But you, not the camera, tell the RAW file how you really want it.  And of coures it makes a new sidecar. Smiley Wink

Ok, so now I know.  I will do as you suggest.

At this point you are rushing ahead too fast.  You need to slow down and start learnig how to use what you have and how it works.  Stop buying stuff.  You are bound to make mistakes until you get farther along.

Yes I will make mistakes, that's a given ......like death and taxes.  Important thing is that I learn from them.  Life is a series of challenge and adversity, that we're suppose to learn from.  That's why I try not to get bent outta shape when things don't go my way.  I try best as I can to live life on it's own terms, not mine.

What you really need is that gooder, better monitor.

Obiwan give it a break, I got one  Man SadMan LOLSmiley LOL

peripheral illumin. correct."Enabled..... correction data unavailable"

No, this question had nothing to do with anything else.  It just something I noticed in my menu.   I found the solution thanks for giving it a shot.   I'm looking at LR again.  I checked Canon site, there's no firmware available at all for this lens.

I got this camera sling, "case logic", at an authorised Canon dealer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/case-logic-quick-sling-cross-body-camera-sling-black/6673622.p?id=121877...

OK, got it.  That is a pretty light duty strap.  It will be fine for camera and "black" lenses.  I would not use it for a Canon white lens.

You bought this lens?

Canon_4426B002_EF_70_300mm_f_4_5_6L_IS_732106.jpg

If this is the one, it is a "big white" and I would NOT attach the strap to the camera.  You need a tripod collar for it if one did not come with it.  I have never owned this lens but I did use one for a short day one time.

EB

Yep, this is the lens I have.  It did'nt come with a lens tripod collar, it's an optional acc.   Cost appox $160.00.   Obiwan, it only weighs 2.31 lbs, I did'nt think that was too heavy for my camera strap combination.  But I will stop using my sling with it and guess I'll look for a collar.  Maybe I can find a used one, but probably not.  Photography gets more expensive by the day, I can see why many newbies drop out.

"Biggs likes stuff that will take a licking and keep on ticking."

You are right here, too.  But when I retired I had to decide on what to keep and what to get rid of.  I prefer the larger size of the 1 series cameras so all the other, of which there were many, got the ax.  So to speak Smiley Happy, as I sold most. But I gave most of the Rebels to family members.

Now in retirement I buy lenses and sell the lenses I don't like.  There have been many there, too. I lose money on each one but the time playing around testing and using them is worth something.  Isn't it?  I am having a ball, more fun in photography then I ever did before.  It has been born again for me.  Probably because I don't have to.  I do take a job now and then but I don't actively seek any.

I only buy certain lenses.  Ones I deem worthy.  I steer clear of the junk as I have no interest.  This philosophy makes them very easy to sell especially when they include all factory packaging, parts and papers, at a very attractive reduced price.  I had one sell in 10 seconds one time.  I literally, barely, got my finger off the <enter> key.

I now have built up a consensus of what is a good lens and what isn't.  Expensive?  Yes but a great trip to be on. Plus I don't care what the rest of the folks think. I know what I know.

But maybe I am crazy and all this is just a dream.  Pinch me! Smiley Wink

EB

But maybe I am crazy and all this is just a dream.  Pinch me! 

I'm happy to see you happy, doing what you love and having fun.  Many of us don't get to to this point to be able to do this.  Mostly cause of funds.   But I suppose if we really wanted to, most of us could, if we gave up some of our other big boy toys and ventures.  It's a matter of priority of what we deem worth spending our money on.   But in the end, long as we enjoy what we do is all that counts and I see you're really enjoying yourself.   I'm one that trully believes in everyone's right to live the lifestyle and make choices they deem right for them.  So in this line of thinking....no, I don't think you crazy.  You're living your idea of the "American Dream".   Who can be against that  (thumbs up). 

Thanks for the info and your take on the lens.  I will probably take your suggestion on the f/1.4 50mm when I decide to purchase.  The 1.2 L is too rich for my blood right now, not sure if I would need a 50mm for that much.  But I would like another 50mm since the build on the one I have is so cheap, it does'nt have a metal base.  The pics it takes are not bad though, it's decent in low light, but I'm just not sure it would last long with regular use.  I've seen alot of talk about the 35mm and wondered what is it's use for most people.  Was'nt aware it was used as a portrait lens, I thought the 50mm and 85mm was better for that.  But if you say it's better I'll take you at your word, I trust your judgement here.  When time comes to get a L in that range I'll get the 35mm.

BTW.....Why is 35mm better on crops???   I know on a crop it will be X 1.6 and be a 56mm.  But what's the advantage over 50mm other than a shorter distance in range???   To me, 50mm on my crop body is about the normal range distance of my natural eyes.  What mm could be more natural???   Please explain.. 

Are you saying there's a new 50mm f/1.2 L ll out???  Or did you make a spelling mistake.   What makes it hard to use correctly??? 

Hi Jazzman1!

We only remove or edit posts that violate the FORUM GUIDELINES.

That being said, we don't mind if you talk about third party lenses at all, however we do mind if you link to a site where you can purchase said lenses. 

Our general "rule of thumb" is that we remove links/posts that promote or send anyone to a site that sells anything and is either not a well-known/trusted company or an Authorized Canon Dealer. This is to protect our Community members more than anything. This includes personal photography sites that sell prints as soon as you click the link as well as online shopping sites. 

Bear in mind that you're free to use whichever brand of lens that meets your needs, however the EF lens technology (the magic smoke inside the lens) has never been licensed to any other company, ever, so Canon does not support any third party lenses and cannot guarantee that our camera bodies will work with any third party lens, or even recognize that said third party lens is even attached to your Canon camera body. 

We hope this gives you a general idea of how we operate. We want you to feel safe to discuss your gear without worrying too much about your posts being edited. We try very hard not to censor anyone!

Thanks Stephen,

@Stephen wrote:

Hi Jazzman1!

We only remove or edit posts that violate the FORUM GUIDELINES.

That being said, we don't mind if you talk about third party lenses at all, however we do mind if you link to a site where you can purchase said lenses. 

Our general "rule of thumb" is that we remove links/posts that promote or send anyone to a site that sells anything and is either not a well-known/trusted company or an Authorized Canon Dealer. This is to protect our Community members more than anything. This includes personal photography sites that sell prints as soon as you click the link as well as online shopping sites. 

Bear in mind that you're free to use whichever brand of lens that meets your needs, however the EF lens technology (the magic smoke inside the lens) has never been licensed to any other company, ever, so Canon does not support any third party lenses and cannot guarantee that our camera bodies will work with any third party lens, or even recognize that said third party lens is even attached to your Canon camera body. 

We hope this gives you a general idea of how we operate. We want you to feel safe to discuss your gear without worrying too much about your posts being edited. We try very hard not to censor anyone!

Thanks Stephen, this really helps and clears up the issue for me. 

I'm sorry if I've ever violated the guidelines, was'nt intentional If I did.  I'm a very loyal Canon customer, been using Canon products most of my life.  I've had cameras, lenses, camcorders, printers, and many acc.  I've purchsed Canon products from authorised dealer stores to Canon shop on your website.  I don't even own any 3rd party camera/camcorder gear.  I have mentioned and talked about  3rd party gear in conversations here on this site but don't ever remember advertising or promoting any.  If I did so it was unintentional and I fully understand why you would have such a policy.  Again thanks much for bringing clarity to this issue for me.

Announcements