cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions for R5 owners!

jyanscole74
Apprentice

Hi gang, I recently received my R5 and am working out the kinks of moving from my 7Dii. Just had a couple of questions I was hoping the community could help me with!

1. Is it possible for the camera to out resolve the lens that are on it? I’m using a very old EF 24-105L on mine and it seems like the pictures are just incredibly soft, even with a Fast shutter speed and small aperture, with a tripod.

2. Does anyone know if there’s a reputable screen protector on the market for the R5? The screen is beautiful but I’m always afraid of damaging it.

3)Does anyone have experience with using a 1.4x iii or 2x iii with any EF lenses? Any issue with auto focus slowing? I have a EF 100-400 mk2 I don’t want to drop another three grand on the 100-500 but I do miss the reach of the crop sensor haha.

Thank you in advance!!!

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

"but I do miss the reach of the crop sensor haha."

Then crop. That is where your extra "reach" comes from.

The R5 in 1.6 crop mode will have about 17mp vs 20mp for the 7D Mk II.  In my experience, using a 1.4x II on my 5D Mk III and 70-200 II, the images are just a little sharper than the cropping the 5D Mk III images. 

It would be interesting to see someone compare the R5 and 1.4x, with the just the R5 1.6 crop mode.  

Mike Sowsun

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
  1. Anything is possible, including operator error.  Judging from your vague details, I suspect operator error.
  2. The best protection for the flip screen is to turn it around and close it.  A protector prevents you from doing that.
  3. The R5 is designed to autofocus with the RF f/11 primes, but with a reduction in available active AF points to a large area zone in the center of the viewfinder.  This is a vast improvement over the 7D Mark II single Af point at f/8.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements