cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility of EOS-1DX Mark ii 4K videos on Mac

covalent
Apprentice

I cannot play or edit properly the 4K videos from the EOS-1DX Mark ii on my Mac. The images are dashed as if it was 5fps.

I have OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 with 2.6Ghz Intel Core i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, graphic card Intel Iris 1536 MB.

I usually play and edit 4K videos from Panasonic without any issue.

Here I tried the Canon 4K MJPEG with Final Cut Pro X, Quicktime, VLC, Rocket Video Player and EOS Movie Utility without success.

The EOS-1DX Mark ii as well as the EOS-5D Mark iv are btw not listed on the compatible cameras for Final Cut Pro X.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204203

I also tried to play the 4K videos from EOS-1DX Mark ii on 5 other Mac and it always failed. I have tried on one Windows PC and it worked.

Apple Support told me Canon codec is missing to play 4K videos from EOS-1DX Mark ii.

Do you confirm?

What can I do without losing the 4K quality?

4 REPLIES 4

covalent
Apprentice

What about the compatibility of 4K videos produced with the EOS 1DX Mark ii on Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 or earlier?

I have serious problems reading those files from Canon although I have been editing 4K from Panasonic cameras without any issue on my Mac so far. I also tried on other Mac and the problem repeat. On PC Windows, it works fine.

Apple Support told me the codec is missing on Mac for those 4K videos from Canon. Do you confirm?

Thank you for the suggestion, I just asked the Apple community on the FCP X category.
However, the problem goes beyond FCP X as Canon is providing the software EOS movie utility that basically does not work on Apple with its two latest cameras in 4K.

That Apple group should be able to tell you what codecs you might need. We don't do much video on standard EOS around here, we tend to focus (hah!) on stills.

Announcements