cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging my lipo battery

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I'm on vacation for a few days and forgot to bring my charger with me. I have the 70D.
Is there another safe way to charge my battery without the original charger?
Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Negative.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@idanidan123 wrote:
I'm on vacation for a few days and forgot to bring my charger with me. I have the 70D.
Thanks in advance!

Find a Canon dealer and buy another charger. In the context of what you're spending to go on vacation, the cost will be negligible or nearly so. Afterwards, leave the spare in your car or in your suitcase so that you don't forget it again next time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@idanidan123 wrote:
Thanks in advance!

Depending upon how many photos you take, and how you take them, you might be okay.  Asuming the battery was fully charged to begin with, you should be able to take a few hundred pictures, i would imagine.

You change a few settings to conserve power.  Disable the photo preview after shots are taken.  Enabling Back Button Focus can help conserve power by not activating the focus motors every time you meter a shot.  Disabling the camera from searching for focus when it is lost, can help save power, too.

Of course, not scrolling through your pictures in the camera goes without saying.

idanidan123
Enthusiast
I'm currently at 25%, at M Mode. Do you have any how many photos does it take until my battery dies?

@idanidan123 wrote:
I'm currently at 25%, at M Mode. Do you have any how many photos does it take until my battery dies?

Not good.  How many photos depends upon the lens, and your shooting habits.  Not many more than a hundred or so, that's for sure.  I would disable the photo preview, for sure. 

Bob mentioned a battery charger, which is the obvious solution, if it is a viable option.  If a camera shop does not have the charger, a battery grip might work, too.  You can use AA batteries in the Canon BG-E14 grip.

idanidan123
Enthusiast
Another question- does it charge my battery when I connect my DSLR to a PC or laptop?

@idanidan123 wrote:
Another question- does it charge my battery when I connect my DSLR to a PC or laptop?

Negative.  You cannot power the camera through the USB, either.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The Canon BG-E14 Battery Grip for the 70D can hold a tray that contains either 2 rechargeable batteries OR a tray loaded with 6 x AA size batteries (which is nice if you know you'll be in a place where it wont be possible to recharge the battery.)

However, the battery grip costs quite a bit more than a new charger and it sounds like you have access to power -- just not a charger.  

You're probably better off trying to get another charger.

ONLY the charger can recharger the battery.  The USB cable is only for data-transfer or tethered control by a computer -- it cannot charge the battery.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements