cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Aperture

khopev
Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to change the aperture. I am watching youtube videos and they are telling me to press down the the Av button while I turn the button right behind the shutter button. It is not changing it at all. Is that an error? I have a Canon Rebel T6. Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19

Tim
Authority

khopev, 

We are sorry to hear this occurs.  What lens are you using on this camera? 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am using the 18-55 mm lens. Just took two pics outside and they are way too bright. I am set on M and across the top of the screen is 1/200, F5.6, and ISO400. Thanks!IMG_0486.JPG

What made you set those parameters? Where you going by the meter in the viewfinder?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP
What mode are you in? You need to be in M

"You need to be in M"

Maybe! But we need to know what lens before stating that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

What does the lens have to do with it? They all change apertures.

I am in M, lens is 18-55m, across the top of the screen it reads 1/200, f5.6, iso 400. Thank you

@khopev wrote:

I am in M, lens is 18-55m, across the top of the screen it reads 1/200, f5.6, iso 400. Thank you

Why are you in M mode specifically?

Have you tried taking images successfully in Av or Program mode?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

"... across the top of the screen is 1/200, F5.6, and ISO400. Thanks!"

No matter what it says across the top of the screen this is overexposed.  Try doing the same thing with the camera in P mode.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements