cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards compatible with the EOS rebel t7

Mercurygirl77
Apprentice
The user's manual and the website say that the camera is not compatible with USD-1 and it doesn't explain what USD it is compatible with I need help please thank you in advance
4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Screenshot 2021-01-01 144348.jpg

UHS-1 is a higher writing speed than a "reguilar" SD card. The manual says you can use a UHS-1 card, but you you won't get the benefit of the speed. Any SDXC card from Amazon, Best Buy or Staples, etc. will be fine.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Any SDXC card from Amazon, Best Buy or Staples, etc. will be fine."

I would caution you to not use just any SD "card from Amazon".  The problem is Amazon sells from various retailers and some are not good.  It is easy to get a counterfeit or poor quality SD card even though it looks genuine. If it comes from Amazon directly it is probably OK but sometimes you don't or can't tell.

This advice also pertains to batteries and possibly other gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

You would still be able to use a SDXC UHS-I (Ultra High Speed One) card.   Here's a photo of a fairly recent SD card I have from SanDisk.  There are several markings:

170 MB/s (the theoretical maximum read speed).  One often has to dig to find things like sustained read or sustained write.  That's perhaps the most import to understand; especially if working with video.

SDXC (SD eXtended Capacity).  There is also SDHC (High Capacity) as well as the much older plain vanilla SD.

The "3" framed by a "U" indicates the write speed.

The 10 framed by a "C" indicates the speed class which represents the minimum speed.

Then the newer V30 indicates the Video speed.  This typically represents the sustained write speed.

I just wish they got rid of all this garbage and simply put the sustained write and sustained read figures.

Back to your specific case... A card such as this one.  Or an SDHC card will be a-ok in your Rebel T7.   Do stick with reputable* brands though.

sd_card.jpg

* While I have always ever used SanDisk cards myself, I'm a bit annoyed now at their newer offerings.  e.g. they have one advertized as 300 MB/s.  Yet they omitted the "V" rating on it!  Come to find out, it's only V30.  So while the theoretical read speed is faster, offering say faster transfer to your computer (assuming how you are connecting isn't the bottleneck), the sustained write is still only at 30 MB/s (V30).  Guess they were ashamed of putting that V30 designation on the card.   That's getting to be quite shady in my eyes.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Mercurygirl77 wrote:
The user's manual and the website say that the camera is not compatible with USD-1 and it doesn't explain what USD it is compatible with I need help please thank you in advance

I recommend only using SDHC cards, 3sGB or smaller.  

The card slot in a T7 is probalby similar if not identical to the slots in its' predecessors.  I had a T5, and it did not like SDXC 64GB cards, but it was perfectly happy with 32GB or smaller.  I think 256GB is too much for T7.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements