cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture time difference between still shots and video

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I never noticed this before but there is a time difference between recorded still shots and video in the capture time of the metadata.  I have confirmed this on three different Canon cameras.  The R5, 5D Mark IV and G1X.  It is exactly 5 hours in all cases.  I am assuming there must be some reason or setting but I can't figure it out.  Capture time is capture time.  Why is this?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Put the camera in photo mode and check the current time and time zone.  

Put the camera in video mode and check the current time and time zone.

Do they match?

Next, take a photo and shoot a short video clip.  Play them back in the camera and observe the time stamp for each.  Do they match?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you on Central Time Zone? Currently, Central is 5 hours before UTC aka GMT (Greenwich Mean).   Perhaps photos are picking up the local time and video is using UTC?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Yes the camera displays the same time and time zone in photo mode and video mode.  After taking a still photo and short video the file dates match but the capture time (date created) in metadata is exactly 5 hours apart.  See screen capture of metadata below.  Is it possible this has something to do with "timecode"?  There is a whole section on time code in the video camera settings but my understanding is timecode is just a way to synchronous video files from two or more cameras.  I would think the capture time would still be the same.

sparkycpg_0-1659203794967.png

sparkycpg_1-1659203841273.png

@sparkycpg wrote:

Yes the camera displays the same time and time zone in photo mode and video mode.  After taking a still photo and short video the file dates match but the capture time (date created) in metadata is exactly 5 hours apart.  See screen capture of metadata below.  Is it possible this has something to do with "timecode"?  There is a whole section on time code in the video camera settings but my understanding is timecode is just a way to synchronous video files from two or more cameras.  I would think the capture time would still be the same.

sparkycpg_0-1659203794967.png

sparkycpg_1-1659203841273.png

I don’t think I expressly myself clearly.  Play the images back in the camera.  Observe the dates and times that the camera is reporting.

Here is the question that needs to answered.  Do the dates and times match IN THE CAMERA, not in whatever desktop app you are using to read the metadata?

[EDIT]. What camera are you using?

OK so yes the times look correct in camera.  So why is the metadata in Lightroom or Bridge showing a different time?  Again it is the video file that is not correct.  I also looked that the time in DaVinci Resolve and the date/time is correct there.  There must be a different set of metadata that is not showing in LR or bridge.

Sounds like Adobe is not reporting something in the metadata correctly.

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

The three cameras I am using are listed in the first post.  Canon R5, 5D Mark VI, and GX1.  They all show the same thing.

Announcements