cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon r5 Firmware won't update

MXguy
Apprentice

I have formatted my card, put the firmware update on the card(I've tried both SD and CFExpress), set the camera to "P" and I'm still getting "Memory card containing firmware update is required to update" message. I have even tried older updates to try to bridge the gap. I am trying to update from 1.3.1 to 1.6.0 and I would LOVE any help. I am on MacOS monterey 12.5.1  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure that there is only ONE memory card in the camera when you try an update.  It is advisable to use a card that has been formatted by the camera and not yet used for saving photos or videos in the camera.  

Make sure to unzip the file from the download package, and save it to the root directory on the memory card.  Again, make sure there is only one memory card in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

HonestRob
Apprentice

I had my off brand battery grip installed and one off brand battery.  Removing the battery grip that is off-brand might help. Was the problem that the battery grip was installed or that it was an off-brand, or was it that there was an off brand battery.  But for sure with the grip removed and using an authentic Canon battery the version 1.90 firmware installed with an SD memory card with a fresh low level format with the camera, loaded in slot 2 loaded with the .fir file in the root directory.  Would it install with also a CF card installed? Would it have installed without a fresh low-level format? I do not know.  Just stick with the known good and try it again.

Announcements