cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon or Nikon

AlexTheTinyBean
Apprentice
Hello so ive been thinking about getting my first dslr. ive pretty much narrowed down my options to the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T5 with a added 50mm 1.8 lens. Which one is better? Or should I go for a Canon T5i? I will probably not do many portraits and more landcapes or sunsets or closeups. Thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

illininutt
Enthusiast

I have the T3I and LOVE it!  Takes great pictures....and is EASY to use!  Life is too short to worry about  "settings"....just take the picture and move on!  Get the Canon.  As you might guess....I own a simple Trac-phone Big EASY!  I never pay attention to the "settings" on my microwave....when it stops popping....hit the end button.  Had my Honda Crv since 12/15....not once have I looked under the hood!  Ge the BIG EASY and T3I....AND MOVE ON!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@AlexTheTinyBean wrote:
Hello so ive been thinking about getting my first dslr. ive pretty much narrowed down my options to the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T5 with a added 50mm 1.8 lens. Which one is better? Or should I go for a Canon T5i? I will probably not do many portraits and more landcapes or sunsets or closeups. Thank you.

I like the Canon lens selection.  Except for a handful of very specialized lenses, every Canon lens has autofocus.  Not quite so with Nikon lenses.  The Rebel T5 is an entry level camera, with entry level features, which means a few desireable features are not included.  For example, no external microphone input for recording video.

The Rebel T5 was discontinued.  Any "new" T5 cameras out there are left over inventory.  If you wish to buy one, I would only consider the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  There is a link to the Canon Store on most forum pages in the lower right corner.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I got my Canon as a refurb. from Canon itself.  Had 11 "clicks" on it.....almost like new.  Also got my Canon 10-18 as a refurb.  Look into that....save some $$$  Set it (turn it on) and forget it!  Good made Auto FOR A REASON!

AlexTheTinyBean
Apprentice
i found that i could get a canon T5 for $55 and used lenses for cheap too but im debating if used -like new lenses are worth the small cost for anew dslr

I never buy used lenses from ANYBODY.....except the Canon refurb.  Look up the Canon sire for refurb.  But from them....WITH a warrenty!

StanNH
Rising Star

Tha Canon versus Nikon debate is endless, and has been going on forever.  My own opinion is that most, if not all, modern DSLR cameras are capable of excellent image quality.  The differences lie in their ergonomics, features, and selection of lenses.  I've owned point and shoot cameras made by Canon, Olympus, Nikon, and Sony; but my DSLR's have always been Canons.

I prefer the feel of the Canon, and also am very comfortable with the layout of their controls and menus.  As far as image quality, Nikon has somewhat better dynamic range and most tests show sharper images right out of the camera.  I have always liked the overall look of the Canon JPEG product out of the camera and, since I shoot more JPEG than RAW, that's a factor for me.  I have often been unhappy with my skill as a photographer, but never with the quality of what the camera can produce.

As far as price, I will add one more vote for the Canon refurb store.  I got my current T6S there, as well as several lenses.  All my purchases have arrived in perfect condition and covered with a one year factory warranty.  You get a plain white box instead of the usual commercial package, but that's the only real difference you'll see.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

AlexTheTinyBean,

Pay attention to StanNH.  Good advice!  He is spot on.

I am a Canon and Nikon owner and user.  So I believe I can speak from personal experience.  If you are deciding between the 3300 and the T5, the T5 all the way.  The T5i is even better.  All you have to do is handle a D3300 and a T5 and you will not have to ask which is better.  It is probably why Rebels out sell low price brand-N by a nice margin.

Now for the hard part.  The Canon lens line up is far and away the best there is.  Period.  No one else has that.  However, you mentioned the 50mm f1.8.  In this particular focal length the Nikkor is better.

MPO, don't buy a used budget DSLR.  Nikon or Canon or anybody else's.  Unless you know a goodly deal about it.  They are too fragile and can easily have something go wrong if not treated properly.  It is easy to conceal damage from rough use or a drop or rain, etc.

BTW, had you said you wanted the top of the line model, I would say to buy the Nikon D5.  Personally I would love to add a 1Dx or Mk II to my inventory but I just can't pull the trigger with the D5 out there.  Best camera vs best lenses and the two are not simpatico. Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AlexTheTinyBean
Apprentice
If i got the T5 what lens do you suggest i get for it?

My personal favorite lens for a Rebel is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  It is not cheap.  It is fantastic.  Not wanting to invest that much money the newer kit lens will work for you.  The Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  This is a good lens and keeps the quality level of your gear the same.  Always a good idea.

Let me clarify a bit.  The differences between the two offerings in the 50mm focal length is largely a pixel peeper thing.  Real world use, I doubt you can determne a difference.  If the 50mil is what you really want get the T5 and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  You will be happy.  Don't buy either from the used market.  Refurbs are OK because you get a full warranty from Canon.  The single reason for buying the 50mm f1.8 is the very fast aperture.  Otherwise the kit lens  EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is fine.  The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens makes the fast aperture of the 50mil less important so it will do the job of both.  Pretty much, anyway.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements