cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T8I Setting for sharp fall foliage pictures

jburch921
Contributor

Hello Canon friends.

I recently bought a new Canon T8i following the advice from some friends on this forum.  I will be traveling to Maine in a few days and I'm hoping to get the best possible pictures from my new Canon T8i camera as possible. 

I went from a Canon Rebel T-3 to this camera.  It's definately taking a little getting use too.  I see it has so many more creative options to chose from so it's a little over whelming. I'm just looking for some basic beautiful fall landscape pictures.

Does anyone have any basic recommendations for settings to take some crisp fall landscape pictures without it being more that I can handle as a new-be with this camera?

Thank you so much for any recommendations.

28 REPLIES 28

"I started using either Daylight White Balance, or Cloudy White Balance, they are coming out better..."

If you would switch to Raw, you can set WB anywhere, the exact place you want it, in post edit. Choosing Raw is the single best change you can do to make your photos better. Of course it requires you to post edit but you probably u/l the photos to your computer anyway. This makes the conversion process seamless and unnoticed.

In your editor simply look at the picture, you probably are already doing that, than click on the WB you like best.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That's a great picture Steve.  We went to Maine last week.  Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure our how to convert the CR3 picture files onto jpeg files.  I spent hours last night before giving up. I'm loading Windows 10 on my laptop and will try to get a fresh start last night.  I shot all  my picture in RAW mode, had I of know I couldn't just automatically load this pictures on my laptop as usual, I probably would have stuck to the way I knew.  UGH  Wish me luck.  I'm hoping for some amazing pictures when I finally get them loaded.

Jeanette

Why didn't you just get DPP?

@jburch921 wrote:

That's a great picture Steve.  We went to Maine last week.  Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure our how to convert the CR3 picture files onto jpeg files.  I spent hours last night before giving up. I'm loading Windows 10 on my laptop and will try to get a fresh start last night.  I shot all  my picture in RAW mode, had I of know I couldn't just automatically load this pictures on my laptop as usual, I probably would have stuck to the way I knew.  UGH  Wish me luck.  I'm hoping for some amazing pictures when I finally get them loaded.

Jeanette

You can upload the .CR3 files to your computer just like any other image files from a camera.

The only difference is that if you don't have the raw file extension discussed above you will see a graphical icon instead of an actual photo image when you open the folder in Windows Explorer.

The other potential issue would be that depending on the age of the software you currently use your new camera might night be supported.

But, as a number of us have recommended, download and use Canon DPP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Why didn't you just get DPP?"

"download and use Canon DPP."

Simple! Once you have done this all will be well. Raw files are no more difficult to work with than a jpg. You just have to have your computer as up to date as your camera.  Right now your camera is ahead of your computer. Canon wants you to get the best possible form your camera. That's why they give such a robust software package as DPP4 with each new camera.

EB

Did you check out my sample screen shot of DPP4? Doesn't it look familiarity like File Explorer? Your photos will be displayed on the right side of that screen without any input from you. Just like you did the old way with jpgs.

EB

jburch921
Contributor
Thank you all for the suggestions we went to Vermont and Maine and I took pictures RAW. I'm hoping they turned out as well as I think they did looking at them at on the camera screen.

Now I have another problem. I loaded the pictures on my computer and they are in a CR3 format. Which I am unable to open them to see the pictures. So bummed.

Does anyone know how I can open these into a jpeg file or any file so I can actually look and edit them? Help anyone. I've already spent hours trying to figure this out.

jburch921
Contributor
Looking for help with CR3 format. I'm trying to open the pictures but am unable to do so with this format. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What software are you using?

Download and use the free Canon DPP software. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jburch921
Contributor
I loaded the pictures using the SD card directly onto my laptop. From there it went to a EOS digital (F) drive. This is where all my pictures ended. I tried using a cut a paste to another file to change them to a jpeg file but that's where I'm stuck at the moment. So frustrating. I didn't having this issue loading with my old Canon T-3
Announcements