cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SL3 Rebel - exposure simulation

Thaida
Contributor

Hi there!

I am shooting remotely with my laptop and I am using external flash with a remote trigger in a hotshoe.

I am using low ISO because flash will pop so my exposure simulation darkens the screen few seconds after the camera focuses an object.

That makes it very hard to set up the scene.

Is there a way to disable exposure simulation? I cannot find it in settings.

Is there a workaround?

Thank You in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you using a tripod?

Sometimes when using a flash setup (with no modeling lights), I will switch to Live View and lower shutter speed and/or increase IOS to fine-tune the framing.   Then, reset back to 1/200s (whater is your max sync speed value), set back ISO and take the shot with the flashes.

This of course is just an estimate as when working with Live View, you're just playing with the ambient light.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you using full auto?   Don't !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am using manual mode.

Auto focus,

Camera is connected to laptop with cable.

Do a reset of the camera.  The flash should not operate in M mode unless you set something up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ah I see what confuses You.

I did not mention that the flash is external and that I am using a remote trigger in a hotshoe.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Are you using a tripod?

Sometimes when using a flash setup (with no modeling lights), I will switch to Live View and lower shutter speed and/or increase IOS to fine-tune the framing.   Then, reset back to 1/200s (whater is your max sync speed value), set back ISO and take the shot with the flashes.

This of course is just an estimate as when working with Live View, you're just playing with the ambient light.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Sometimes I use a tripod, sometimes I shoot from the hand.

Boosting ISO is a good idea, tune the frame in live view, than set ISO back to take a shot.

Thank You good sir!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Thaida wrote:

Hi there!

I am shooting remotely with my laptop and I am using external flash with a remote trigger in a hotshoe.

I am using low ISO because flash will pop so my exposure simulation darkens the screen few seconds after the camera focuses an object.

That makes it very hard to set up the scene.

Is there a way to disable exposure simulation? I cannot find it in settings.

Is there a workaround?

Thank You in advance.

I am far from being an expert on using external flash gear and strobes.  But, I do not believe that E-TTL metering works with Live View.  Live View uses actual sensor to meter the scene, while the OVF uses a separate metering sensor, which is typically located the top of the viewfinder.

I believe E-TTL metering relies on the actual metering sensor used when you shoot through the OVF.  Your darkened images with the Exposure Simulation just may be accurate, however.  They could be representing the scene without the flash.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hello!

When I shoot the images they look fine, I just have issues placing things in a frame with a black screen :).

@Thaida wrote:

Hello!

When I shoot the images they look fine, I just have issues placing things in a frame with a black screen :).

Exactly!  You are seeing the exposure minus the flash.  The following is from the manual for the SL2.

B7053BAF-5130-4081-AC11-2EB0DD037AD5.jpeg

If you have not downloaded a copy of the full User Guide for the SL3 you can download it from the same product support page where you downloaded Canon software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements